Tuesday, September 09, 2008

y'IKE's!!!

That's pretty original, huh?

I looked at a storm prediction a few minutes ago and as of 5am this morning it doesn't have Ike coming directly to us anymore but further South. That would be nice but I still don't trust it. Although, Roger's (a friend) "shrimp guy" told him yesterday that it's not coming here but it's going to go to Mexico and he hasn't been wrong in 50 years. Maybe his luck will hold out. It has to hit somewhere, though, and someone will get hurt and property will get destroyed so how does one pray..... We're just letting God do what He's gonna do and going with it - as if we have a choice.

I HATE packing and I don't use that word loosely. My mom always told me not to use that word, that it's too harsh and you don't really mean it but I HATE, detest, despise, abhor packing. I hate packing for a vacation, for a weekend retreat, for anything and especially to run from a hurricane when you know you might only end up with what you packed. I'd just rather stay home. I'm usually glad I packed, though, cause we always have a good time and I can't imagine staying in a hurricane and putting my family through the potential horror and danger. That's a no-brainer. I just have to keep from biting anyone's head off in the packing process cause it's just so stressful for me. It's probably just that I know I'm going to forget something that I/we'll really need and I'm going to feel like less of a person. Yes, I'm sort of OCD and I like to make sure I have everything that everyone will need. You know, just in case.....

So, last night, as I lay in bed thinking and thinking and thinking, I thought about a few positives of packing to run from a hurricane.

1. You get to find out what you really, really, really treasure.
2. You find out how authentically generous your friends and family are that welcome you to stay with them.
3. It's like a mini vacation once you're gone and you might as well make the best of it - even though it's not in the budget.
4. I get to use my new hardisk camcorder that I got for my birthday to take video and pictures of our house and our stuff.
5. You get to stay alive!
6. You get to dream about how you'll remodel or rebuild your home if you come back and it's leveled. I'm going to have a much bigger living room and kitchen!
7. You might end up with some good stories for the great grandkids one day.

If you have others, please share. I've got to go start my packing list.

1 comment:

praynlady said...

You missed one of my blogs....it was pretty much the same thing...except that I have not been able to figure out what to pack and I don't even want to think about it so we'll probably leave everything and just take the cpu and laptops and whatever photo albums and such we have. Too much for my brain to handle especially this time of year and this particular month. I can't wrap my brain around what is important, I can't seem to wrap it around anything really lately. I suppose that in some way, when this season of depression (storms) is over, I'll start going through and making a note of what to pack and where it's stashed at the time and then store it somewhere safe and hope I can remember where I stored the list and that for some weird reason, I've not moved the items I put on it! haha