Tuesday, September 16, 2008

After Ike -Day 4 Without Power

We still do not have power but the stores are stocking up with the basics very quickly. Man, they had to throw out so much food! What a mess..... Thanks to our neighbor, we have power to our fridge. Ice is being distributed by FEMA but the line is super long. It goes pretty quick and yes, we got more vienna sausages! Yipee!

Since Tommy found a way to make our coffee sans electricity, our biggest concern now is finding fuel for our cars. There are only a handful of stations open. The one that was open yesterday is empty today. Tommy is driving to Houston for work and he said it's not great there either. So, my adventure for today is going to be to wait in a line somewhere for gas. Woohoo!

I heard glass break nearby early this morning and that freaked me out so I called 911. They came by and patrolled but I guess didn't find anything. We still have a few neighbors that haven't returned and a few that are sleeping elsewhere so it bothered me.

I'm going to make a huge pot of chicken and dumplings today and invite the neighbors over until it's gone. We have a few guys home without their wives and our older neighbor is working himself to the bone so feeding them is something I can do.

Here are a few pics I meant to put on yesterday's post.

This is our church. Reminds me of a poem by Calvin Miller.



This was our first sign of life in LJ on Sunday morning as we drove around the ghost town.

The weather is still very nice. We are thankful!

2 comments:

Frank Bennett said...

Your house doesn't look to bad. I think now would be a great time to put that for sale sign up. You never know, one of the owners of the damaged houses might be wanting to buy a new place to live so they don't have to move twice. That is what my sister is doing in Baton Rouge. They have a big tree on their house so they are buying another house and then going to use the insurance money to fix up the old place and then sell it. Just a thought. :)

Andrea said...

Not a bad idea except that I think everyone is too busy cleaning up right now to be looking. We also have a gutted bathroom that looks like Ike blew through it so we've got to get that fixed and then.... we can put that for sale sign up.

Sorry to hear about your sister's house. What a major pain. We are so fortunate!