Sunday, September 21, 2008

What's Happening Around The Stunz House

Today marks day 9 without electricity in our hosue since Ike blew through town. Would you believe that those light switches still don't work???!!!

All of the stores that have power and are open are pretty much fully stocked and finding gas is not a problem.

We went to church this morning. You could tell the difference between those who had electricity and those who didn’t. Those who didn’t were wearing shorts and tank tops and had wet hair or their hair was put up somehow, like mine! Those who had electricity had on normal clothes, even some with long sleeves and their hair was all fixed, unlike mine! Either that or they have a mega generator like our neighbors’…..

We got to go out for lunch today! No dishes to wash by hand and we weren’t sweating or fighting bugs while we ate.

Our thermostat in our kitchen shows 82 degrees. That’s bearable if you’re still and the wind blows.

The Center Point trucks keep driving by our house as if they are taunting us.

The mosquitoes are absolutely horrible!!!!!!!

Tommy made a mouse homeless this morning. He moved all of the trash in our back yard where it was hiding. He had torn down our old, rotten shed and moved it into the dog’s yard before the hurricane and tied it down with fencing so it hopefully wouldn’t projectile into all of our neighbors’ homes. It worked pretty well. The mouse moved from the original pile to the one in the dog yard and then yesterday Tommy started hauling it off and it kept moving from place to place. Now all of the trash is gone so it scurried elsewhere. Poor homeless mouse.

Anna is now officially addicted to Little House on the Prairie. We bought season 3 before the hurricane, mostly for school purposes but she absolutely loves it. I think she’s almost made it through the whole series. Time to buy more, I guess. I loved Little House on the Prairie when I was a kid. I’m so glad she likes it. I know it’s full of bad acting but the lessons are sooo much better than Hannah Montana and Suite Life!

Tori, Anna and I just finished watching a chic flic, Jakeb is watching Lord of the Rings on his little tv sitting on the kitchen floor and Tommy is reading a new book in our make-shift family bedroom which is normally our office. Okay, if you look at the picture below, maybe he isn't reading anymore.... and yes, those are snowmen on our sheets - wishful thinking, I guess. :)

Tori goes back to school on Tuesday. I will start with Jakeb and Anna tomorrow, power or not. I spent hours rescheduling their lesson plans on my computer program to start on Monday hoping we’d have power. Even though it looks like we won’t, I’m starting anyway cause I don’t want to reschedule it all again and honestly, we all need something to do besides watch tv and eat junk food.

Our neighborhood will be a lot quieter when all of these generators are turned off, a/c is turned on and we can close our windows.

Even though I like this simpler way of life, I’m getting pretty tired of living a pioneer lifestyle. I guess you can’t really call it that because even without electricity, we have it so much better than that era. We are definitely missing our comfortable lifestyle, though. We’re managing okay and are grateful for what we do have but everyone is getting a little cranky. Or maybe it’s just me…….

I am now headed to the city hall parking lot for free wi-fi to publish this post.




No comments: