Tuesday, September 02, 2008

My kids got the coolest teacher ever!

ME!!!

School is officially in session for the rest of the Stunz kids and we made it through our first day. Their first day of school pictures are below. Definitely not your traditional first day pics of them with their backpacks getting ready to walk out the door. No backpacks, bare feet, no strict dress code..... Those are just a few of the home school bonuses!

It is both a blessing and a curse to have had previous public school experience. It helps with structure, routine, etc. but then you get questions like I got from Anna today. "What's the 2nd lunch choice?" HA!! It was an innocent question but I had to laugh.

The lessons took a little longer than I thought they would. I probably planned too much for one day. I'm kinda freaked out about finishing everything so I'll push a little harder at first and re-evaluate after this week. Some of Jakeb's stuff is just weird and hard to put into a structured lesson plan but it's necessary so we'll figure it out. He was very patient with me. I think we'll all end up having to learn some lessons on grace this year.

We started about 7:30am. I hadn't planned on starting until 8:45 but they were ready to go so we started. Who'd a thought... We plowed through lessons and then shot hoops at about 11:00 for a recess of sorts. That was weird. People driving by were probably thinking "Those kids sure aren't sick! Why aren't they in school? Where are their parents?!?" The rebellious side of me thought it was funny.

Jakeb finished all of his assignments just before 2 and that was with doubling up on Algebra 2 so he can finish it in one semester and do Geometry next semester. I think he was motivated enough to have finished the whole year in one day. Anna's hand was tired of writing by the end of the day. Guess we should have kept those muscles in shape over the summer. She finished around 2:30. I thought we'd finish earlier but it took longer to figure things out so tomorrow will probably be shorter.

Jakeb and Anna were both really great students and I enjoyed the day. We're off to Sonic now for happy hour!!! Before all the other kids get out of school.......

5 comments:

Kristy said...

Good luck with your homeschooling adventures! My dream is to take the kids around the USA over a year and teach them American History while visiting all of the sites.

Andrea said...

Thanks!

Travelling around the US is a great idea and there is much to discover here. I've lived here almost all of my life and there is so much that I have not seen. Maybe someday...

Frank Bennett said...

You sound great after your first day. I'm so glad it went well and will pray God's blessing on your whole year. I know you will do a wonderful job. Keep up the good work!
Suzanne

K said...

Andrea, you are going to be GREAT! I never thought of the 2nd lunch option... that was pretty funny!!

I love Jakeb's homeschooling equipment... Laptop, wireless mouse, keyboard, Ipod complete with docking station, cell phone and a good read, Huckleberry Finn! And people say homeschooler's are so sheltered!! LOL

Andrea said...

Wow, Karen! Talk about paying attention to detail..... :)

Just to clarify, though, the laptop and wireless accessories are mine and he will use them for school. And the ipod and cell phone do not come on while he's doing his work (or at least they're not supposed to).

I honestly didn't think about all of that being in the picture but I'm impressed you noticed. Too funny....

Suzanne, thanks for the encouragement. What a great cheerleader you are for me!