Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Back to normal…. sort of



We have begun day 5 without electricity but the weather is holding out for us quite nicely. Jakeb even got the Wii set up this afternoon using our neighbor’s ample supply of generator power so he happily played guitar hero until….. the generator cut off and our neighbor is at work so off it will remain. Bummer!

So, we go to get more ice from Fema and they are giving MRE’s (Meals Ready to Eat) now. No more Vienna sausages!!! Oh Happy Day!!! We ended up with two cases of water that we really don’t need , six small bags of ice and six MRE’s. MRE's are what the military gets to eat when they are in locations where they can't cook. My dad loves these things. He buys them at gun shows all the time. I don't think there's anything normal about an MRE. My dad gave Jakeb one for his birthday dinner one time when they were gone hunting. Jakeb and Anna ate them for lunch today. Jakeb had Meal No. 6 (chicken and noodles) AND Meal No. 23 (chicken cavatelli). Anna had Meal No. 20 (spaghetti and meat sauce). Each meal has everything you need. Lemon-lime drink powder, crackers or bread with cheese spread, a coffee packet, the main entrée and a dessert. They even include a hot pouch to heat up your food and hot chocolate if you are so lucky to get that as a part of your meal. I tasted parts of each of theirs and they really weren’t that bad. I’m eating my own cooking for dinner, though. They thanked me for getting them and letting them eat them and I don't think that’s normal. Our 80 year old neighbor was super excited about getting those things when he went to get his ice. He was super excited about the Vienna sausages too, though… normal? nah! But he’s going to be living it up for the next few days.

Maybe it’s just me but I think it’s strange that Fema is giving away free ice and food and just down the road, Shipley’s and McD's is open. I’m very grateful for the free ice and I wouldn’t feel right to be going through Shipley’s drive-thru buying donuts when I’m getting free ice and MRE’s from the government. I just don’t like feeling like a moocher so I’m thinking my free ice days are over. I think I can come up with $.99 for ice at Bucee’s.

Many of the businesses are open around town, grocery stores, Target, Walmart, Bucee’s, and almost all of the restaurants. A few things are still hard to find but I bet it won’t take long for the shelves to be all stocked up. Gas stations are also mostly all open and the lines weren’t bad at all. A lot of the homes in our area have electricity so we can bum off of friends and family if we needed but for right now, we’re in good shape. We love camping so it’s really kind of fun for now. As long as we can stand to stay in our own home with our own stuff, with our own routine and our own chaos, we will.

Much here in town appears to be back to normal but in our little part of world, so much is not. I’d love to go throw a load of laundry in the washing machine, use my dishwasher for more than a drying rack and for the light switch in the bathroom to actually turn the light on!

BTW - I'm sitting in a friend's driveway using their internet to post this and Tori is playing the word game on Facebook that she's addicted to. Normal??? Nope.....

No comments: