Monday, August 02, 2004

People I don't know ...

This morning I sat down with a small book written by Kenneth Boa. It is actually a journal where I can reflect on verses related to the historic creeds of the Christian faith.

As I read I thought of how people like Dr. Boa have affected my life without me ever actually getting to meet or know them. I've read a couple of books by Boa and they always cause me to grow. The same thing happens with people who aren't even living now like C.S. Lewis and Henri Nouwen. And people who are alive but I will possibly never meet like Erwin McManus, Ravi Zacharius, Dallas Willard, Robert Webber, Brian McLaren and others. Even the blogs I've been reading lately, some from people whose name I remember and some I've forgot.

On my last post I talked about how good it is to have close friends who challenge me to live the life Jesus called me to live. It's good to have friends who I don't know and may never know (this side of heaven) challenge me as well.

1 comment:

Ronnie Whitehead said...

Why is it that those 'small books' are usually the best? I've read a 'small book' by Louie Giglio entitled "The Air I Breathe" which reinforced some of my views on worship and changed others. I've not yet had the opportunity to meet Louie, ... but I will. And ... Tommy ... You will meet Erwin McMannus. I'll make sure of that!