Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Mundane rhythm ... or not.

“…the biggest problem with the Christian life is that it is so daily.” – Bruce Shelley

This is the first sentence of the preface of The Practice of the Presence of God. I think it’s easier to find God in life when things are either going extremely well or when life is hard. It is harder though to be close to God when we get into living the mundane rhythm of life.

As I read of how Brother Lawrence worked in the kitchen of a monastery and was aware of God’s presence even while performing the most menial task, I am challenged to see God around me. So as I walked to work this morning (because I couldn’t ride my missing bike) I decided to “practice God’s presence” on the way.

It seems like a basic thing – to concentrate on God around me on the way to work - but it took effort. I had to pay attention or my mind would drift off and think about the most random subjects.

There are two sycamore trees on the way to work (up Sycamore St.). These two trees remind me of my childhood (my grandparent’s yard was full of sycamore trees); they remind me of Zacchaeus; and this morning they reminded me to think about God and how he exists all around me.

breathing air again

take the time to start anew
maybe it's in front of you

take the time to walk down the street
heaven knows who you might meet

take the time to be okay
and laugh a bit along the way

maybe you could take me for a ride
we could just drive all day

and breathe again
step outside the front door
gaze upon the stars
and know you're not alone
so run into the fields
scream louder than you can
it's good to be alive
and breathe air again

take the time to stop and stare
heaven's beauty everywhere

take the time to think about
someone else besides yourself

take the time to be okay
and laugh a bit along the way

maybe you could take me for a ride
we could just drive all day

and breathe again
step outside the front door
gaze upon the stars
and know you're not alone
so run into the fields
scream louder than you can
it's good to be alive
and breathe air again

- robbie seay band

No comments: