Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Leadership Summit

Tomorrow through Saturday I will be attending the Willow Creek Leadership Summit at a local satellite location.

Bill Hybels says "The local church is the hope of the world, and its future rests primarily in the hands of its leaders."

Brian McLaren says "Leadership must once again become a matter of love and spirituality, a place for spiritual sages, not just organizational technicians."

I think that the Leadership Summit will lean more towards organizational technician rather than spiritual sage. Although I see that in the last session Hybels will address when leadership and discipleship clash. The question I ask myself is can the organizational technician and the spiritual sage exist in the same body? There has to be some organizational technician or the church would be chaotic.

And the second question I ask myself is how many times have I allowed the organizational technician in me to organize God out of the picture? As in everything else there is a balance.

I look forward to the next couple of days for the change in routine and what I might possibly learn from some incredibly sharp people. I'll let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

Ronnie Whitehead said...

I agree with the "both/and" rather than the "either/or". In my job, I spend a lot of time thinking creativily about songs, videos, logos, graphics and such. At the same time, I have to schedule the time to actually use them in my planning. My middle name appears to be "Deadlines" (the technician in me). So even though our jobs are somewhat different, I think we all have the elements of both in our daily lives.

I agree with Deb, I hope that God gives you some great nuggets to bring back to help make your job and ministry more productive and with more focus.

Scott Hodge said...

thanks for your thoughts on the leadership summit. i'm attending here in chicago. i've been posting on my blog and also on fast company's magazine blog as a guest contributor.

i'll be interested in hearing more of your thoughts on some of the leadership ideas being shared in this conference VS. some of the ideas we are hearing from people like b. mclaren, etc...