Thursday, August 05, 2004

Baseball Boredom

Last night Andrea and I went with her sister and brother-in-law to watch the Astros lose to the Atlanta Braves. We had a good time (not that I enjoy watching the Astros lose). With the exception of a few moments, the pace of the game was slow and the mood of the folks in the surrounding seats was one of general boredom. It seemed like the game was really an excuse for the people around us to pay $10 a piece to hang out with friends. Don't get me wrong it's a good thing to hang out with people and Andrea and I had fun with our relatives. But is baseball so slow that it's more about the company you're with than the actual game?

Baseball is one of those games that you have to understand and follow closely to really enjoy. I grew up watching baseball because my dad is a fan of the game and I have some interest in it. I just don’t have the will to follow a team through an entire season unless something extraordinary is happening (like the Astros of ’86).

If I only had one afternoon available for the entire year to watch one sporting event I wouldn’t pick a baseball game. I think I would have to pick a college football game.

What do you think?

1 comment:

Ronnie Whitehead said...

And you call yourself a preacher?!?
Just kidding. I love baseball. As a matter of fact, I'm contemplating taking my youngest to a game this weekend. I've been involved with baseball most of my life, though; either playing, watching or coaching. I even did my stand as an umpire. (Please don't throw things!) I probably have rosin in my blood.

For me ... the worse day at the ballpark is better than the best day a lot of other places. Win or lose, I just love the game.