Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Listening

Steven Sample president of USC in his chapter titled Artful Listening from the book The Contrarian’s Guide to Leadership says:

The average person suffers from three delusions: (1) that he is a good driver, (2) that he has a good sense of humor, and (3) that he is a good listener.
This chapter made me question myself and how well I listen. Do I listen only for a few sentences, rush to judgment and then spend the rest of the time others are talking formulating a response? Too often that describes my listening style. I want to learn to listen so that I can understand the perspective of the person who is speaking.

The times where I really listen are far more beneficial to me as well as the person speaking. I end up gaining new perspectives that my personal bias would never have allowed me to see otherwise.

Sometimes my biggest problem is that I like the sound of my own voice too much …

9 comments:

Ronnie Whitehead said...

I found myself thinking about what I was going to say in response to your post, as I was reading it. This is SO me. I also find myself disengaging at times in conversations to ponder other thoughts.

I think being a true listener is a skill that is not easily attained, but one we must all master.

Tommy said...

Because I gave you a chance to talk when no one else does? I miss that sharp edge as well ...

Ronnie Whitehead said...

When was the last time you or I had a one-sided conversation with God .. and GOD was doing all of the talking???

Anonymous said...

I would just like to go on record as saying I really enjoy reading the comments of NICOLAE. They are for sure from a seeker of the truth and not trying to get a romanticized view of religion. Now, I do not know this person. But just from reading his comments, he challenges me to dig deeper into my understanding of Christ and His plan for my life. So, thanks NICOLAE, even though I am sure this isn't your intention. I appreciate the challenge.

Tommy said...

Maybe NICOLAE should start a blog so we could all read more of his insight.

Come one NICOLAE! Add blogging to your commenting. I'd read it.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you come across as very hard to talk to. As if you are really wanting to be somewhere else rather than listening. You are really good at what you do, but thought you would like to know what I thought.

Tommy said...

Thanks Anonymous. I realize that about myself. I especially have a hard time engaging people I do not know well. It’s not that I would rather be somewhere else as much as it is that I am not so comfortable in that situation. I will work to get better.

Tommy said...

Thanks Anonymous. I realize that about myself. I especially have a hard time engaging people I do not know well. It’s not that I would rather be somewhere else as much as it is that I am not so comfortable in that situation. I will work to get better.

Anonymous said...

That was cute! I got it! Thanks