Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Words

I've been catching a hard time about the way I speak lately. It doesn't have anything to do with the South Texas "twang" I inherited from growing up here. It seems that I do not use correct grammar. I say "Me and Jake went camping" instead of "Jakeb and I went camping".

But isn't the point of talking to communicate where the hearer understands? Unless the hearer has a personal bias against bad grammar and shuts me out, will he/she still not get the point?

I have a friend who is starting a church. He calls people who have not yet stepped over the line of faith "pre-Christians". He ended up in an argument with another person over whether it is okay to call a person a "pre-Christian" because we are bestowing on them the sacred title of "Christian".

A church Andrea and I visited in D.C. spent countless hours arguing over whether to call the new addition to the church the fellowship hall or some other name. The arguments were heated and people were passionate and angry that church "tradition" could be ruined by the improper naming of a building.

Don't get me wrong. I believe words are important. I agonize over how to say the right thing in the right way as I teach. I just think that sometimes we communicate the same concepts with different words having the same meaning, yet waste time arguing over semantics.

Keep reminding them of these things. Warn them before God against quarreling about words; it is of no value, and only ruins those who listen.
2 Timothy 2:14 (NIV)

Well I've got to quit writing now ... me and Andrea are going to lunch with our daughter ... or is it Andrea and I ... oh, you get the point.

4 comments:

Scott said...

me fail english? that's unpossible!

Anonymous said...

Andrea, I'm afraid you chose the wrong form of the word "its". You used an apostrophe for "its" in the possesive case. An apostrophe is only to be used with the word "it" in a contraction. An example would be, "It's a challenge for Tommy to use pronouns correctly."

reflectionsofatexan said...

You know, this is a really interesting subject. Maybe its because I just came from a diversity training with UTMB all week...but oh well :) While it is very true that the main objective in most any conversation is to be heard and understood, I think good grammar doesn't get the credit it deserves. Its all accepted while in a colloquial setting, but try to get a job, or go for an upper graduate interview, and suddenly bad grammar plays a larger part than you expected. Either you can't find the right words for the answer you want, or the grammar and language you commonly use around family and friends suddenly seems inferior when in the presence of authorities of knowledge. I strongly think grammar is losing ground in today's education. I can't say how many students there are at BC alone that can't read properly. Statistics say only 16 percent of the Brazoria County population have degrees...that includes Associate's and up. There are certainly other factors involved in that statistic, but my point is, not only grammar but, vocabulary and basic skills are on the decline, which is a sad realization. I've probably use more than my fair share of blog space so I'll cease my ramblings.

Ronnie Whitehead said...

I believe that there should be an exclamation point after the word "Hey" with a new sentence following.