Sunday, July 27, 2008

Sometimes you gotta make a mess to clean a mess!

There’s a lot of work going on at our house these days. We’re getting ready for probably the biggest garage sale we’ve ever done. It’s funny (and annoying) how you have to get so unorganized to get organized – to make a huge mess to clean up a mess… It just doesn’t make sense. Our garage is full already and I have piles all over the house of things waiting to go to the garage but I have to organize the mess in the garage first. We normally donate our stuff cause it's just easier and you can do it a little at a time but we really need to buy a laptop to travel with and for school use so this was the best way to come up with the additional funds. If anyone would like to just donate a couple hundred $ or so, we'd be happy to just haul this stuff off. Except Anna is really looking forward to her lemonade stand. So, come buy lemonade this Friday and Saturday!

Tommy tore down our storage building yesterday. It was pretty bad when we moved in 8 years ago and a wolf with decent lung capacity probably could have huffed and puffed and blown it down. It took Tommy a couple of hours to tear it apart and he endured a couple of minor injuries and some sore muscles, but it’s down. Now we have to figure out what to do with all the mess.

We’ll begin gutting our bathroom soon. We’ll replace the entire shower, move the plumbing over to a different wall for the shower and put in a new vanity sink and tile floor and painting, of course. That’s going to be a mess! I’m thinking a shower schedule will be in order since we’ll be sharing the only other shower between the 5 of us.

We’re also painting the outside of our house, well we’re not, we’re getting someone to do it. We did it the last time and it was a big job and with everything else going on, we just didn’t want to tackle that one ourselves. Not to mention, it’s just HOT outside!! What a pain it has been to pick colors. Our brick is like the coat of many colors. I think we’ve finally settled on two. You be the judge.....

We’re getting our house ready to sell – "staging it" as they say. Along with these major projects, I’ve been taking down some personal items and packing up some things. We’ll be doing some fresh paint on some of the interior rooms and putting qtr round in our hallway, which we should have done 8 years ago, and replacing Jakeb’s ceiling fan and the upstairs plantation blinds and whatever else comes up along the way that we forgot to add to our list and will help us sell this thing. Most of you know we’ll either be moving to Singapore or to Houston some time next year. So by doing this work now, hopefully we’ll get to enjoy the fruits of our labor and an uncluttered house for at least a little while and when it is time to move, the process won’t be so intense.


Paint colors? Speak now or forever hold your peace.....














Two walls down. It's amazing how it takes so little to hold up a structure...










































The dogs are just always messy......

6 comments:

Sweet Sage said...

THANK YOU!! I feel so much better about my mess now!
Hope you raise tons of ca$h!!

Andrea said...

Thanks! Glad I could help... :)

I've gone to your blog and can't figure out who you are. Do I know you? I'm curious to know how you found our blog.

No reason... just curious.

Unknown said...

I like the yellow, but I would go by the small can and try it before deciding, the red could be accent. When you're looking at a large area it might be too much yellow, but I like it.

I didn't realize this move would be so soon : (

Andrea said...

It's actually called Compatible Cream and Fiery Brown. The colors may not be coming off right on the screen. I certainly don't want it to be yellow.

I'll take all the advise/confirmation I can get so feel free to come by and look at it in person.

I was thinking of going to get a small sample can of each and trying it. That's a good idea.

K said...

I love the cream, but if you guys have the problem like we do with mold growing on the house, I'd go with the darker brown.

I would love to paint mine a lighter color, but the green mildew shows up to quick, and the "AUTHORITIES" would be sending us notes all the time.

Dark brown hides the green a bit longer.

How's the planning for homeschooling going?? Are you thinking of coming to The Woodlands for the homeschooling convention? If so, let me know. I'd love to meet you there!!

Andrea said...

I think we are going with a bit of darker color instead of the cream cause I was afraid it would look yellow. I don't have anything against yellow on a house but our neighbor across the street has yellow and it would just look horrible with our brick. We have tons of wood on the second level so doing it too dark would make it look depressing, I think.

The painter said they prime first and use top grade Sherwin Williams paint so I'm hoping there won't be a mold problem. We have one spot that has mold on it now and he said that after he painted that wouldn't come back.