Saturday, October 11, 2008

Week At A Glance

Just sharing some stuff from our week.




On Thursday, Jakeb, our 15 year old, made an incredible Middle Eastern meal for a History project. He spent the week researching and gathering recipes, learning about some of the ingredients and making a shopping list. He made most of it from scratch and worked on it most of the afternoon and man did it pay off. He marinated and grilled beef kabobs, and made saffron rice (or sovreign rice), naan (flat yeast bread) and Persian pastries made with Phyllo dough, the inside was filled with sugar, flour, walnuts, some other seasonings and a little bit of cardamom. That stuff is $10 for a small bottle! I now have two because I couldn't find it and as soon as he used the new one, I went to put it in the pantry and placed it right next to the one I knew I had. Ugh! So I know have $18.50 worth of cardamom in my pantry. Guess I'll have to find something to bake alot of over the holiday's that takes cardamom. Anyway, all of it was totally yummy and he worked so hard! He deserved a 150 for his grade. The dessert was my favorite and I had fun watching him slave in the kitchen and I even got to work on it with him a little. He didn't really need much help from me. He loves to cook and he's really good at it.


Yesterday, Friday, the three kiddos left for a weekend church camp at Pine Cove in Columbus. Anna went as a camper and Tori and Jakeb went as junior counselors. I'm pretty sure they're having a blast right now. It never fails to put a lump in my throat as I watch any of my kids drive away to leave somewhere. I didn't want to go home and cry so I went shopping... I had a few things to exchange anyway. I do miss them but it's nice to not have to fix anyone food for a couple of days or answer any questions and it's sooooo quiet!


As I shopped, I found a new laundry hamper that I really like for our bathroom that we are remodeling and redecorating. I'm trashing this old one. It's at least 10 years old. The lid has been broken for probably 5 years now. It's time for it to go take up some space at the landfill.


This morning, my sister, Gwen and I went walking at the track. We did 3 miles and watched some group work out super hard. They must have been a local Biggest Loser group or something except that some weren't really heavy at all so they must have just wanted to get in shape. Novel concept... Anyway, Gwen and I were chatting and smiling while we walked. They were all sweaty and crawling on the ground and stuff. They really made us look like wimps. Oh well, at least we were out there walking.



After we finished walking, I went to the grocery store and bought all healthy food. That made me feel better. I paid $10 for 5 honey-crisp apples! Now I know whey Jenny ripped hers off. They must inject them with high fructose corn syrup. We will not be buying these on a regular basis. They will have to be our "special occasion" apples. Dedee, come over soon and I'll serve you some of my "special occasion" apples on my birthday dishes! :)



Tommy is working on the bathroom alot this weekend. He has finished replacing the rotten wood and the major plumbing job for the new shower and putting the walls on. Today, he is texturing the ceiling and walls. We may be able to get the walls painted and start on the tile this weekend. I think it's really going to look nice. Way nicer than the 1960's bathroom that it was.

No comments: