Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Final Farewell

Well, this should be the last post about our dog, Karat. We will bury a special rock and a picture that Anna drew of him in his grave because that's what Anna wants to do and that will bring comfort to her.

Today, I had alot of housework and stuff to get done as a mom so my teacher responsibilities had to be rearranged. I planned out Jakeb and Anna's assignments to be ones that they would not need my help on but they did get things done.

One of Anna's assignments was to write a three paragraph story about Karat. I thought this would help her process and reflect on the positive. First paragraph was to be why she loved him. Second, fun things she did with him. And third, why she misses him. While we were talking the assignment through, she was telling me stories and I told her that those were the stories she needed to write about. Then, in an attempt to prompt a third paragraph, I asked her why she would miss him and she simply said "because he's dead".

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to make light of his death in any way. We miss him and Anna is still very sad but it is true, afterall, that we wouldn't miss him if he weren't dead.

1 comment:

K said...

Karat was one lucky dog to have such love surrounding him. I will keep you all in my prayers as you remember your beloved dog.

I know the pain of losing a pet that is so dear. It is not easy. But to know that we can love that deeply and open our hearts so wide is truly a blessing from above.