Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Fun Homeschool Stuff

One of the blogs I read pretty regularly posted this video a week or so ago. I'd never heard it before (I think my childhood would have been much more complete if I had. I kinda feel ripped off!) but I thought it was pretty entertaining and educational.



Anna is having to memorize The American's Creed for History. There are a few words in there that are a little tough for her mostly cause she doesn't even know what they mean and they aren't words that we use but she's doing great. She is really good at paraphrasing. She catches the overall meaning of something and then puts things into her own words. She does it with scriptures alot, which is fine with me as long as she understands the meaning. I'm not sure if she should memorize it verbatim or not. Is it unpatriotic for her to paraphrase this historical document? What about the Declaration of Indepence, cause that's next? Can that be paraphrased? Is the goal to memorize words or to memorize the meaning? I just don't know, but I'm thinking some paraphrase is okay with me and I'm the teacher and I give the grades. So, that's that, I guess. I think I may even give her bonus points for creativity and imagination!

Here is Anna's version:

The American's Creed
I believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, by the people and for the people, whose just powers are "destroyed" from the "constant" of the governed; a democracy in a republic, a "saffron" Nation of many "saffron" States; a perfect Union, one and "indivisible"; established upon thos principles of freedom, "equally", justice and humanity for which American patriots "suffered for" their lives and fortunes.
I therefore believe it is my dutyto my country to love it, to support its "Congegrations", to obey its laws, to respect its flag and to defend it against all enemies.

My personal favorite is the "saffron Nation. And you'd never know she has grown up in church, huh? "to support its Congregation" - too funny!


Here's the real version:

The American's Creed
I believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, by the people, for the people, whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic, a sovreign Nation of many sovreign States; a perfect Union, one and inseperable; established upon thos principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.
I therefore believe it is my dutyto my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag and to defend it against all enemies.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

i got some the words right,and some of the thanges i did not get right

this is anna not mom