Monday, May 05, 2008

Jumpin' In The River

Tommy preached this past Sunday at our church. It was a message titled “Wonderfully Made” in a series called “Amazing”.

Anyway… Tommy talked about how sometimes we think God is like a Blackberry or a PDA that we can take out of our pocket whenever we decide we need help or find ourselves in a crisis or we might think of Him as a genie in a bottle where we can rub the bottle and He comes out and says, “I’m here to grant your wish.”

Tommy went on to say, though, that God is not like those things at all. He is more like a river that flows and we are but to jump in and let Him have control of where we go. Novel idea, huh? Kind of like floating down the Guadalupe or Comal River, it just kind of takes you where it flows and you let it (until it’s time to get out and this is where that illustration breaks down.)

On that note, we have “jumped in the river”. Several weeks ago we let God guide us to the decision to home school Anna next year for her 4th grade year. I'm leaving my job at our church in order to do this right so it is a pretty big jump in a potentially deep river. We home schooled Tori and Jakeb for a year, Tori’s 4th and Jakeb’s 2nd. I had a great year with the two of them and I am very much looking forward to having the next year with Anna and having the time to give her focused attention.

Anna is excited too. I think she might be a little disillusioned in thinking that she’s going to get to sleep in and watch tv most of the day and maybe finish school in an hour or so, but she’ll find out that’s not the case pretty quick. I do think she’ll find, though, that learning stuff can be fun and hanging out with her mom all day can too. I’m pretty sure we can arrange some grandma time so I can have some mom time occasionally. Maybe I’ll make that into a field trip. :)

So, just a few more weeks of regular school for her. We’ll take this one year at a time and see where the river takes us next.

3 comments:

Jenny Hintze said...

I told Anna on Sunday that I bet she can teach you a thing or two. She liked that idea. I'm pretty sure my kids teach me more than I teach them.

Andrea said...

I definitely agree!

Unknown said...

I love to see how God works, and I see God all over this. You jumping in and trusting through it all, not even knowing where it leads. I know it is a sacrifice and commend you, may it be rewarding for both of you.

I told Reag and she said she'd like to do that, because she doesn't want to ride the bus - she has some anxiety not about Rasco, but the bus ride.