Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Saturday in Hong Kong

Tommy and I got to go to Houston on Saturday with a side trip to Iran and Hong Kong. We love experiencing new things, flavors, smells, sounds, etc. It's an adventure and we found one just around the corner in Houston.

We went to the Saffron Persian Cafe on Hillcroft for lunch and “enjoyed” the music of the Middle East. It was our second time there and we enjoyed it as much if not more than the first time. (We even went back on Sunday evening with some friends for more.) They are probably Iranian but it was just a cool experience and really great food. We really hated we missed the belly dancers on Friday night, though.

After lunch, we went to the Hong Kong Mall. There's a whole area off of Bellaire and the Beltway that is like stepping into Asia. We walked into this mall and definitely felt like we were in their world. It was cool. We were the minority and it just made us feel a vulnerability that we don't have to experience every day in "our" world. Here are some pics that I took even though after taking the first one a oriental lady screamed at me and told me not to. I was just taking a picture of bamboo! Man!!! Maybe it was some kind of secretly grown or spiritual bamboo or something. Who knows…


We went to a bakery and bought two cookies (we threw one out cause it was not good, the other one was okay) Anyway, I asked the clerk what something was and pointed to it and he said some kind of bread but I couldn't understand him. I asked him if it had something inside of it. Well, that just blew his mind and he just told me, "It's nothing". I'm supposing that was his standard answer when he couldn't communicate with these touristy people who come in and don't know anything. It was funny.


There was another store that could best be described as our Candy Craze. It had plastic bins filled with dried anchoves, all types of fish jerky and other jerky meats, fruits, etc. Some of it probably would have been good but the smell in there just made it all not seem appetizing at all. We stayed for a while, though, and looked at everything.

We will definitely be taking our kids there soon. Good times…




The "special" bamboo.










Jack Fruit - they were huge! Look at them compared to the tomotoes and the guy sweeping in the back ground.










Durian Fruit - in the Jack fruit family. This one is very stinky and very expensive! It's the size of a large melon but about 1 quarter of it at one place cost $13! We didn't try it. We'll save that adventure for another day.










Fish on a rope!!! How cool is that?










Pho Dung, yum, sounds appetizing, huh? Fake what? We didn't eat there but we got a good chuckle out of the name.










Starbucks anyone? Tommy got tapioca in his green tea creamy thing. It was slimy and disgusting. She had asked me if I wanted tapioca in mine and I asked her why I would. She asked if I wanted to chew my drink. :) I thought that was hilarious. Tommy threw his out and we ended up sharing mine - a slime free passion fruit slushy.










They seem to embrace it all. Christianity, Hindu, Buddha were all represented. These posters were all over with scripture verses written in English and then in Chinese, I guess. This one is of John 3:16.

No comments: