Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Don’t read ahead!!!!

It is out of comical frustration that I write this post!

I was reading My Utmost for His Highest yesterday for April 29th. It is titled “Gracious Uncertainty” and it was very inspirational to me. Tommy and I were going to return some movies so I decided to bring the little book with me and read it to him while he drove to Hastings. I pulled it out, all pumped up to share this incredibly fitting message God had given me because it went so perfectly with his previous post titled “Uncertainty”.

So… here goes… the moment I’ve been waiting for… I’m about to share with Tommy this profound, divinely timed word that God gave to me through today’s devotion that was written so many years ago.

I begin reading and glanced at him all excited about this morsel God has given us for today and with a grin, he tells me that he read that already and that’s where he got the idea for his post in the first place.

I was shocked, horrified and mad! I think I hit him (lightly) and told him, “You can’t read ahead!!! That’s just wrong! The date clearly said April 29th and you used it on April 26th!!!"

Come to find out, he does that often. He says he reads this devotional book in spurts so when he reads it, he reads several days at a time. Oh well… what’s done is done. He read ahead and I think that’s cheating. That’s like cheating God out of what he was going to give you in His timing. That’s like reading the end of the book or jumping to end of the movie. We have to take these things in order and not mess up the intended plan.

I am joking about most of this. If you know me, you know I’m an organizational freak and like to take things in order and Tommy is not. We had a good laugh about this one.

If you have time, go and read My Utmost For His Highest for April 29th. It’s really good for most of our days when we find ourselves in the middle of the uncertainty ahead. I do think it’s okay to go read previous days to catch up on what God wanted us to know but didn’t take the time to read - just don’t read ahead!!

7 comments:

Jenny Hintze said...

That's funny.

Just one example of the life of a rule follower married to a rebel. Not that Tommy's all that rebellious.

Andrea said...

...or that I am always a rule follower. My rebellious side shows up when you least expect it. :)

Jakeb said...

Who said reading ahead was bad... If I listened to one thing Greg said in the snapshots thingumabob it was that we should read ahead andfind all the snapshots of what God is trying to show us so we can put it all together...

So therefore yes I am being a rebel and taking Dad's side. haha

Jenny Hintze said...

When are you going to decide on a banner? I liked that picture bigger and b&w, but that's just my opinion.

Andrea said...

Does this one meet your approval? What do you think you are, a professional or something??? :)

Honestly, I'm doing the image in some random photo software that's pathetic cause I don't have the good stuff on my home computer.

I'm open for suggestions...

Jenny Hintze said...

I'll make one for you when I get a little time. You can use it or not....I don't care.

Andrea said...

I would appreciate you making one for me, then I'll have the best looking blog photo in the land!

I need to spend a couple of hours on the blog itself and make it look better. I just don't have the time to these days. It's frustrating.