Friday, March 25, 2005

Texas

Those of you who read here often may or may not notice that I change my blog header from time-to-time. I like variety in most things thus the change. The image I chose this time is of the Texas flag and bluebonnets – both very “Texas-kind-of-things” especially this time of year. It got me to thinking…

I love living in Texas. I love that I was born here. I love that I have lived here all of my life. I even like the fact that I was twelve years old before I stepped outside of the state. Every time I leave Texas it is always good to get back.

I had a job that sent me to Louisiana for seven months. I would leave early Monday morning and come back Friday afternoon every week. The best part of the week was to travel west over the Sabine River.

I love Texas for a million different reasons, but let me name a few:

San Antonio, the river walk, Mexican food, the Alamo, the cold water of the Guadalupe and Comal rivers in New Braunfels, the memory of picking peaches in Fredericksburg when I was a kid, Gruene and the Grist Mill, camping and fishing on Lake Livingston, surfing off of Matagorda Beach, Houston, the Astros, the Rockets, the Cowboys (when I was younger) and the Texans (now), catching redfish and flounder near San Luis Pass, seafood in Galveston, the board walk in Kemah, watching the bats fly from under Congress Avenue bridge in Austin, running on town lake trail, mountain biking at Rocky Hill Ranch, jumping into Canyon Lake from the rocks, Chuy’s, picking corn in Wharton, floating down the Colorado in a canoe, …

I could go on all day but you get the point. I’m not trying to brag or boast, just remember. For those of you who’ve never been here, you should at least visit; Texas is a great place!

That’s right you’re not from Texas, but Texas wants you anyway.
- Lyle Lovett

Assuming you've been here, what do you like best about Texas?

3 comments:

Tommy said...

Yo Nic,

I'm not THAT much of an Astros fan and I have zero percent maroon in my blood, so no this is not a hill I am willing to die on.

Now Greg on the other hand may take you up on a meeting at the swings!

Jenny Hintze said...

Well, Texas is ok, I guess. Not that I have much else to compare it to. But you have to admit that all the Texas songs are pretty lame and cheesy. I'm sure some will think that is heresy to say, but oh well, the truth is the truth.

Anonymous said...

I like Texas, I like the wildflowers along the highways and byways specially the bluebonetts. I like the hot summers and listening to the waves on the shore. I like football in the fall. I like the wide open spaces out West. I like the lakes and rivers and floating down the Blanco. I like the names of small towns. I like the people (well most of them even the imports). I don't like huricanes and Houtston traffic. I like A&M and UTA (Austin). Thanks.