Wednesday, March 30, 2005

I don't own the phone

On Monday we were hanging out with some friends, eating lunch and enjoying our day off. It was kind of comical to sit at the table and listen to everyone’s cell phones ringing.

“Hold on a minute, I’ve gotta catch this one.”

Mine never rang because I don’t own a cell phone. We pay a bill for two because Andrea has one and our kids carry around our “second” cell phone. I have yet to step into the 21st century and get one for myself.

Why?

I really don’t like being that connected. In fact I like being “unavailable” every once in a while. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy hanging out with friends but why would I want to talk to them when my goal is to buy Raisin Bran and dog food? Really … can’t it wait until I get close to the phone tied to the wall in my house or office?

I like that Andrea has a cell phone because it keeps her in touch with the kids should they need her. I like that the kids can carry the second cell phone when they are out somewhere. I think cell phones are great for everyone who owns and takes advantage of the technology. This is a personal thing, but I am at a loss as to why I would need one.

2 comments:

Lizanne said...

As one of the friends you were hanging out with, I was a bit put out that my husband had to answer the phone while we were with friends.(don't worry-he knows)Since we started the new church the church # is his cell phone. This happens alot-yuck! However I am addicted to my cell, I confess!We had a great time Mon. despite the phone thing-ha ha!I demand a marbles rematch!

Tommy said...

Let me clear some stuff up.

First it doesn’t bug me that other people have cell phones. Monday’s lunch didn’t bother me at all. It just made me ask the question “Do I need a cell phone?” And the answer is a resounding “I don’ t think so?!? Maybe not … no … okay, no I don’t”

Also, I’m usually a gadget guy when it comes to technology, but a cell phone is not a gadget I’ve found I can’t live without.