Sunday, June 07, 2009

So this is the Tree of Enchantment!

My mom, Anna and I went to Abner Jackson Plantation. I've known about it for several years but have never been. It's pretty much where Lake Jackson was started as far as I know. Then it got trashed by a storm in 1900 and Dow Chemical came along in the 40's. Why anyone would want to establish a sugar mill or anything for that matter, and purposely live on swamp land in plantation times, with that type of clothing and no a/c, I'll never know! Cheap land, I guess? We chose to live here but we have a/c and can wear shorts and sleeveless shirts! :)

It was a hot hour or so and the mosquitoes were in full force. Thank God for the invention of mosquito repellent! That seems to be my perfume of choice these days. We managed to walk the whole plantation which is more like a strip of land with only ruins left and story boards to tell about what was once there.

We saw the Tree of Enchanment! I say that with some sarcasm... This is the tree where the Lake Jackson, rather the City of Enchanment, logo came from. I never knew that the tree in the logo had a specific origin. Now I know. We affectionately call the City of Enchanment where we live "The City of Entrapment". :) Tommy and I were mostly brought up in this area so it's home and will always be our family home even though it is really not a place of grandeur at all.

At the end of our tour, there were some guys reinacting and telling stories about life "back in the day". Then we saw this crazy big, ugly bug!! It looked like a giant mosquito. Imagine how much Benadryl one would need after getting a bite from that thing! I think it was actually a mosquito moth or something like that.

All in all, it was worth visiting - once. And I'm glad I got to experience it with my mom and daughter.

Here are some pics. I particularly like the bird poop and the bullet hole on the sign in that 2nd pic. My mom thought it was bad that it was there. I did too but I also thought it was funny. You can click on the story board pics to make them larger if you want to read about it.














No comments: