Tuesday, June 16, 2009

College???

We are attending Tori's college orientation at the University of North Texas. Yesterday was a fun filled day of informational sessions and sweat. Boy, was it hot outside. June in Dallas is insane. At least there's no humidity or mosquitoes. Plus we got "free" tshirts! We thought we were going to have to change into them at one point because we were sweating so much. Hopefully, today we won't have to stand in lines in the hot sun.

Anyway, as I sat in one of the sessions, I had this overwhelming sense of unbelief that I'm a college student's parent. That's insane! I also sat by a mom that balled her eyes out. I'd bet her son is ready to get away from her. I think I was too hot and tired to be emotional. Maybe I was too dehydrated to have tears, I don't know. But I'm just so proud of our daughter! She is ready.

Although her college is pretty darn liberal (what colleges aren't?) she is ready. She is so level headed and grounded in her faith and she knows where's she headed. She has a plan :) and I'm just not worried about her. UNT seems to fit her. She is ready for the academic regimen and she will do well in. I will miss her like crazy but she is ready. It's time, it's right and there's alot of comfort in that.

We learned a few of the Mean Green traditions. I have to say the alma matter is pretty stupid. I know, where's my school spirit, right? But I have a hard time singing "glory to the green". Anyway, the eagle claw is a pretty big deal and I think we've got it down.

Here's a pic of them teaching us the proper way to make the eagle's claw and how to say "CAW". It sounded just like an eagle! And another picture of the kind of box Tori will be living in.



CAW!!! GO MEAN GREEN!

No comments: