Sunday, November 02, 2008

What a mouthful!

Crunchy, Peanuty, Perfectly Yummy Mouthful!

I LOVE baking over the holiday's!! When it starts to get cold out, I just want to be in the kitchen and forget that anything else exists. I love to bake. Over the past several years, I've sold goodies to help pay for Christmas but this year, I just don't have time this year. I'm narrowing the choices and I'm only going to make peanut brittle this year. I make it the old-fashioned way, no candy thermometer and about 30 minutes of constant stirring. It's my Granny's recipe and I remember her and my mom making it when I was growing up. It's probably my favorite thing to make. While I'm stirring, I get lost in stories and memories and just feel so good when the batch turns out. I'm 2 for 3 so far this season.

Soft, Incredibly Delicious Gingerbread Mouthful!

These cookies are not homemade but they are one of my holiday favorites. I discovered them years ago but I have had trouble finding them over the last couple of years. When I saw them yesterday in Houston, we bought two bags. I was nice and shared a couple with Tommy. They are a soft, mildly flavored gingerbread cookie with a thin, crunchy coating of icing or glaze. Oh my goodness, they are soooo yummy! Perfect with a strong cup of coffee.

A mouthful of Anna!

A friend's dog got a mouthful of Anna's face last night! It's more like a bunch of scratches and her jaw is sore but the prognosis is good. Our friends felt horrible. She was at their Halloween/fall party and they were grilling hot dogs and wings. Anna was trying to hug him while he was working on a bone. Not a good idea. They think the dog was probably a little on edge due to the chaos of kids playing and the smell of meat cooking. Sensory overload, I guess.

I hope your holidays are filled with all sorts of yummy mouthfuls! Try not to eat anyone's face, though, because "that would be canibalism and it is frowned upon in most societies". (Johnny Depp from Charlie & The Chocolate Factory)

2 comments:

Frank Bennett said...

I sure hope some of that brittle is going to find it's way to my tummy. My mouth started watering as soon as I saw the picture. I guess if you are moving away you might have to share your recipe. I don't think it will be Christmas (or a good Christmas) with out some yummy Stunz brittle.
Suzanne

Andrea said...

Absolutely! I'll make you some for sure and will be happy to share the recipe since you are "family". :)

I'm pretty sure they have peanuts and sugar in Singapore. Not so sure about corn syrup. Will probably have to take some of that with us. I'm not sure if I can make it through Thanksgiving or Christmas without making peanut brittle. It's Jakeb's favorite too!