Tuesday, November 18, 2008

20 Years of "I Do's", "I Still Do's" and a few bad "do's"!

November 19th was on a Saturday 20 years ago but today, this Wednesday, November 19, 2008, marks mine and Tommy's 20th wedding anniversary. What an achievement!! We are pretty proud of ourselves in an unprideful kind of way. I've said it before that I can't believe that we are old enough to have been married for 20 years.

Someone asked me a few years ago how you know when you've met the one you're supposed to marry. Is there a way? My answer to her was that if you can't imagine your future, your life, everything you do from this point forward without him then that is a really good indicator. There are other factors, of course, but that's a pretty good test. I knew Tommy for a year before I was even attracted to him, we were friends, and really good ones. But there came a point where I knew I couldn't imagine my life without him in it. Thankfully, he came to the same conclusion about me. :) I still feel this way and am so grateful for what we've shared over the last 20+ years. We have been incredibly blessed by God.

We wouldn't be here, in this place, 20 years later, without our parents, our children, our siblings, extended family members, mentors, and friends who have helped shape who we are and challenged us to be better at whatever we do.

We knew each other for 3 years before we got married, about 2 of those were dating and engagement. Tommy attended his last college class on Friday morning, drove home that afternoon, and we got married the next day. We were 21 and thought we knew it all. Boy, did we get a clue real fast! The last 20 years have brought good times, tough times, adventures, victories and even failures but through all of that, we have learned to love each other more deeply and honestly. Our choice to a lifelong committment is definitely what has seen us through.

The next 20 years and hopefully more will hopefully bring good times, fewer tough times, adventures, victories and even fewer failures. Bring it on! We want to be that old couple that still holds hands and the love we share is honest and apparent - the old couple that young couples look at hoping that's what they will look like one day.

So... I've put together a photo documentary of our "I Do's" and a few bad "do's" that we have sported over the last 20 years for you to enjoy, laugh at, tease us about, etc. Man, what were we thinking in some of those? We've come a long way, I think. We're proud of our family, our accomplishments, our committment and our life we've made together. We've learned from our strengths and our weaknesses. We've grown and we know we're not done. We're proud of where we've come from, where we've been and where we're headed.

The song in the photo album is an old Cindy Morgan song called "How Could I Ask For More". It's "our song" so to speak and just makes me cry every time I hear it. It's so perfect for us. Enjoy the pics and the journey through time. Turn your speakers up and tell the kids the be quiet.

Click to play Tommy & Andrea 20 Years
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow



I hope the world can see how much we love each other cause "We Still Do!" and we always will.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Andrea and Tommy! Your slideshow was great- it made me smile so much! (ok and I giggled a little!)

Love you! erin

Tommy said...

Andrea - Great post if I do say so myself. I am proud to be your husband and I look forward to the next 100 or so more.
Love,
Tommy
P.S. Why didn't you make me get a more sensible haircut?

Jenny Hintze said...

I don't quite know why but something about that mustache makes Tommy look...how do I say....less...white. Something ethnic about that mustache. And those glasses! Wow! How were those ever cute! You both have aged VERY well. Gwen...loved the dress, girlfriend! Lotta purple going on.

In all seriousness, you guys mean the world to us. It is so great to know you and see how you guys do this marriage thing. I know it's not always perfect. But you let us see that people really can grow old together. Not that you're old...that's not what I meant.

Maybe when Phillip and I are really old (like 50) we'll make out in public and grab each other's butts. That would be pretty cool.

Andrea said...

Erin, thanks. I knew you'd appreciate that. You were sooo cute! Still are and I love you too!

Tommy, if we have another 100 years together haircuts won't matter.

Jenny, Tommy and I are just "old school", I guess, and content to hold hands. :) I'm not sure that those younger couples looking up to you would say "aw" with a slight tilt of the head and a puppy dog smile on their faces when you guys grab each other's butts. But you go right ahead. I sure I don't have to see that.

Unknown said...

Way to go guys! You certainly have achieved a milestone! Great post - have to wait to see pics at home, they are blocked, awwww.

CONGRATs to you both & thanks for keeping it real & encouraging others - like me, in ways you know and don't know!!!

Frank Bennett said...

Wow! You guys are great! Love the song. We had it sung at our wedding. I loved looking at the pics and thinking about when we met and how great it has been being friends with you guys. We respect you as a married couple and parents and have been encouraged many times through our years of friendship. It's just sad that we are so far away. I can't wait to see you guys at Thanksgiving!!!!
Hugs, Suzanne

RanAshKenCoop said...

Jenny do you mean ethnic like Nacho Libre??? That is what I thought of.

Congrats Tommy and Andrea!!

-Randy (Ashley made me sign this one!)

Andrea said...

Randy, I'm glad you signed it cause it would have just been weird if Kendall knew who Nacho Libre was.

Tommy always gets comments on that wonderful haircut. I like it cause it difuses the comments about my glasses and another "famous" pair of shorts that I wore at one of Jakeb's birthday parties.

Everyone should really have someone in their life to help them with fashion and hair styles.