Thursday, June 26, 2008

Brush your teeth and live!!!

My kids won't like this one but here goes...

The other day and for several lazy summer days now, I’ve had to ask my kids (not all of them, I must add, but a couple of them and I won't name names) if they’ve brushed their teeth and taken their vitamins. Since any sort of routine is completely non-existent this summer, for some reason these simple tasks they've done since they had teeth just don't seem all that important to them. You’d think that the fuzzy stuff growing on their teeth making them all yellow and stuff would get gross after a while!

Anyway, our last discussion didn’t seem to do much good either so I thought I’d post about it. I remembered hearing, from Anna at school I might add, that if you brush and floss your teeth you can actually add years to your life as keeping your teeth and gums healthy prevents gum disease. So, I did a little research and found this article. This is just piece of it, if you want to read more, you can click on the title. It mentions Oprah too so it has to be true! They also list 10 suggestions to ensure good oral health thus leading to a longer life! Hurry!! I know you're dying to get started!

Tooth or Consequences: 10 Steps to Add Years to Your Life
CHICAGO–March 9, 1999–University of Chicago internist and anesthesiologist Dr. Michael Roizen is making headlines with his RealAge program, which he designed to provide people with a scientifically valid age reduction plan.


You may have read about it, seen him on "Oprah" or "20/20" or even bought his book. And maybe you were surprised that flossing your teeth ranks right up there with taking your vitamins, quitting smoking and reducing stress as one of the top five things you can do to reduce your "RealAge." In fact, keeping your teeth and gums healthy allows you to add 6.4 years to your life, according to Roizen's plan.

"It makes sense," says Dr. Robert Schoor, president of the American Academy of Periodontology (AAP). "Periodontal (gum) disease is a bacterial infection of the gums, and that bacteria can travel into the bloodstream and other parts of the body, putting a person's health at risk."
Recent research has found that periodontal infection may contribute to the development of heart disease, diabetes, respiratory diseases and premature, underweight births.

And this from another page of the above linked website. I don't know about you, but it makes me seriously ask, "what if?".

Bacteria associated with periodontal disease have been linked to other serious health risks.
Osteoporosis

Heart Disease and Stroke

Pregnancy Problems

Diabetes

Respiratory Diseases


This article was not enough for me, however. I felt I might need photos to make an impact. So I hope you’re not too grossed out but I thought this might be effective for my kids and maybe it might help you as well if you’re dealing with this issue with your children. I do what I can...


Healthy tooth:













Gum disease:








Okay, I know that's extreme but GO BRUSH YOUR TEETH!!!


Update: My efforts were less than effective. Oh well... They read it and instead of running upstairs in horror that this may happen to them, one went outside to ride her bike and one went right back to playing Rock Band. The other one is still sleeping but she brushes her teeth. Guess I'll have to think of other tactics... Any ideas?

2 comments:

Jenny Hintze said...

Thanks, I will. It's 11:15 and I haven't changed out of my pajamas, brushed my teeth, or bathed. Summer really screws me up too, so I can identify with your kids.

Andrea said...

Glad it worked for you. You'll have to go read my update.