Thursday, December 11, 2008

Ever wondered what 30 batches of peanut brittle looks like?



I love making peanut brittle, especially when it helps pay for Christmas. I get to make something I love to share and others get to enjoy eating it and pay me for it. Win, win, I say...


My peanut brittle recipe is from my Granny Jones and I watched her make it when I was a kid and then watched my Mom make it and she is the one who taught me how. I don't use the microwave, I don't use a candy thermometer. I time it, using my favorite pan (just like the one my mom uses), my favorite spoon (just like the one my mom uses) and a gas stove! I stir it constantly and go by smell, appearance and I can just "feel" it when it's right. Jakeb and I have had some laughs about me becoming one with the peanut brittle. :) He is my peanut brittle fanatic! I can almost guarantee a perfect batch if the weather is cold and not humid. Since it's hot and humid year-round in Singapore, I'm pretty sure I won't be making it for a while. I'll miss it alot. It's like therapy to me and I love being stuck in one place fore 30 minutes at a time. It's a good excuse to slow down and think. I think I like making it much more than I do eating it. I made these 30 batches over the last two weeks and only one of them was not up to my perfectionist standard but it didn't keep it from getting eaten.

Anna was my little helper elf in packaging these gifts up to take to Dallas this weekend. I used popcorn to stuff around the ones that need to be mailed instead of buying packing peanuts. Since it's homemade goodies, I can get away with using the popcorn. I used white popcorn (real popcorn, not microwave in a bag popcorn) and made it with very little oil and then sprinkled shaved glitter stuff all over the top of it to make it look sparkly. Kind of looks like snow. I think Anna was impressed with her mother's creativity. It's not an original idea, not many of mine are.
I'm finished with my "big" orders and can now make it at a more leisurely pace, after giving my stirring arm a break for a few days. Yes, my patient family, you will be getting some too and you won't have to fight for the crumbs off of the pan. I'll make you a whole, real batch with real pieces and I won't make you pay for it! The crumbs, however, are really good on top of Bluebell homemade vanilla ice cream!

3 comments:

Jenny Hintze said...

Well, I can't say that I ever have wondered what 30 batches of peanut brittle looks like. But now I know. It looks very organized.

crockerdile said...

You are so sick!! In a good way. What am I going to do without your weird gift for organizing- I need you around not in Singapore!!!!!

Andrea said...

Ha! Thanks for the kind words, I think... :)

Sometimes the "gift" of organization is really a curse.