Saturday, December 20, 2008

"Don we now our gay apparel. Fa la la la la la la la la"

Ok, I have Anna's permission to tell this story BUT she said only if no one comes up to her and asks her where her gay apparel is or who Don is. Deal? Please honor her in this or she'll never let me tell another one of her funny stories again!

So, my neice, Erin, and my sister, Colleen, are planning/hosting our annual Cousin's Christmas party this year. Erin designed the invitations and we got it, read it, put it on the table for future reference, time, gifts, charity, etc. This was about a week or so ago.

Yesterday, Anna and I are in the kitchen making dog treats (we've been doing that alot lately) and here's the conversation that went down.

Anna: she says with hesitation "Mom, what does g. a. y. spell?" Ok, I take a deep breath and pause for a minute to think about how the best way to respond to this question with 9 yr. old lingo.

Mom: "Well, traditionally, it means cheerful or joyful but today it usually has a much different meaning." (or as my neice, Erin, puts it - Christmas sweaters and merry)

Anna: "Oh, I thought it meant like two guys and two girls." She says with relief in her voice.

Mom: "Well, that's what I meant by today it has a different meaning."

About this time, it occurs to me she is talking about our party invitation - thanks, Erin! :) The light bulbs come on and I now know how to explain. Breakthrough!!

Mom: "But in the Christmas song it just means cheerful or happy. And it's probably not a word you want to use much of, really. Just use the word 'happy' or something like that. Okay?"

Anna: "Okay. Who's Don?"

I could stop here because it's funny enough as it is but there's a little more. We went to look at the invitation so I could make sure she is not confused. I asked her to read the front. Here it is:

Anna: "Don, we now are gay- and I don't know what that last word is."

We both laughed pretty hard.

fa la la la la la la la la.......

3 comments:

praynlady said...

I'm Mrs. Don to you! heehee

I can't wait to see what turns up....or down!

debbie said...

That is a story you and Anna will laugh about for a long time. Priceless!

Sherry said...

Lovin' that story! Gotta love those special moments! Thanks for sharing!