Thursday, August 07, 2008

LJ House - BEFORE

Here's a pic of our house now, the before shot. I know it's a bad shot but I was in my pj's and needed to hurry. We live on a busy street!

We're getting it painted. It's sooo hot and I'm soooo glad we aren't the ones out there doing it this time! We got several quotes and I actually wanted to use my down the street neighbor but he didn't call me back to schedule. I gave him a week and called Euneek. They called the next day and were powerwashing and fixing wood the next.

The painter guys put up the two samples that I thought I wanted and well... that didn't work out. I went back to Sherwin Williams and purchased two more samples and painted those on and Tommy and I stood in our driveway staring at our house. I've got tons of mosquito bites now!

I'm still agonizing over the color scheme. I think I've landed on the two colors that I like but I have to decide whether to paint the garage doors the darker color or the lighter color and then what do I do about the columns. Do columns have to be a light color? I don't know... I think I'm going to go print out this picture a couple of times and color it and see if that helps.

We've driven all around LJ trying to see "what everyone does", you know, following the crowd, but they are all different. Some have dark garage doors to match the shutters and trim and some have light. Some have three colors in their scheme and some have two. Most only have one but we have so much wood on our top level, I just don't think one color would work and it would just be boring.

So, I've decided that it's a matter of personal preference. Now I just have to figure out what my personal preference is.....

They said they would start painting today and said they'd finish by the weekend so if anyone would care to come help me make sure I don't end up with a purple house, please come now!!

5 comments:

debbie said...

Picking paint colors is an awful chore. We painted our house a couple of months ago and I had to choose the colors. I agonized over the choices and finally just went with what I liked, 2 shades of green and a red front door. I love it. We put the lighter shade of green on the large surfaces and trimmed with the darker. The garage door is also the lighter color. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Andrea said...

Thanks, Debbie. I'm glad I'm not the only one that has struggled with this. I just finished my "coloring" project and I think I'm going to go with the dark garage doors and light columns. I asked the painter guy when he came this morning how many chances I had and he said they'd work with me, within reason... I think I'll have them save the garage doors for last and make the final decision then.

Our problem is that our brick has a bazillion different colors in it and an overall shade of pinkish, orangey brown and very hard to match up.

praynlady said...

Bazillion? Great word!

have fun!

deedee said...

Can't wait to see the after picture.

Andrea said...

It's coming... As soon as I get back in town I'll take one and post it.