Sunday, August 24, 2008

I walked “2” miles in my own shoes!

It’s a good thing to walk a mile in someone’s shoes but it’s also good to walk in your own occasionally.

This weekend, I put on my tennis shoes for the first time in about 2 months and walked two miles. I didn’t realize it had been so long since I’ve pounded the pavement but when I put them on I noticed it just felt really strange to have them on. That’s not such a good thing considering it’s time to kick it in gear and get ready to walk/run the Houston Half Marathon in January and my cute skinny clothes aren’t fitting so great right now. My shoes and work-out clothes have gone with me on trips all summer long but for one reason or another or for just no reason at all, I never put them on and laced them up. Guess I was “doing lazy”, huh?

It did feel good to get out and walk with my sister, Gwen, and daughter, Tori, who are training for the ½ marathon too. I’ve missed visiting with my sister as it seems the only time we have to catch up with what’s happening in our lives is when we walk. I will also love training with Tori and the opportunity to walk and run with her for a solid 13.1 miles in January. Anna has no desire to be on her feet expelling energy super early on a cold January morning for 13+ miles, not to mention the training. She will be a great cheerleader, though, and will enjoy running with her Wii friends!

Tommy & Jakeb have beefed up their running schedule over the last week or so. They will also be running the ½ marathon. Jakeb will have more time to train now since we can work it into his school schedule. Jakeb thought he might train for the full this year but decided he probably shouldn’t commit to that just yet. He also thought that running his first full marathon in Singapore would be cool.

So, it’s time to get disciplined and walk/run a hundred miles or so in my own shoes over the next few months. Although that word, “disciplined” doesn’t make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, I am ready to get back into those cute skinny clothes that have been hanging in the closet collecting dust for long enough!

I really love that our family is, in one way or another, all participating in a healthy lifestyle. Wonder if it will continue through the fast approaching college years?

No comments: