Saturday, October 30, 2004

Things I'd like to do before I die ...

Last year I listened to Robert Lewis preach a message about prayerfully making a list of things you’d like to do before you die and then having that list be your “North Star”; kind of a guide for life. I’ve never been a “write your goals down and follow them” kind of guy. For some reason that seems too rigid for me. But Robert Lewis’ list has an element of dreaming that connects with me. It’s not so pragmatic as the list that the goal setters say I should be making.

Robert Lewis says I should finish the following statements. Before I die, I want to:
Be…
Do…
Have …
Help …
Enjoy …
Leave …

Although I never got around to being as specific as Robert Lewis I think I’ve always had a list. Here are just a few, some which I have already done. None of which are in any specific order.

Before I die I want to …
… go into the ministry.
… learn to be a craftsman, who makes beautiful intricate wooden things.
… see the Himalayas (specifically Mt. Everest – although I have no interest in risking my life to get to the top).
… grow old with Andrea (and show her more love then than I ever have).
… watch my kids grow up to own their own faith.
... learn to play a guitar well.
… to run a marathon.

And there’s more.

That last one I think is on my radar to accomplish next. This morning I ran 12 miles. I have not been telling people that I am training for a marathon BUT I have been following Hal Higdon’s marathon training program for novices. I promised myself that if I got to the 12-mile long run I would let other people in on it. Not to impress lil billy or anyone else. Not to make myself look good, but mainly so I have accountability. Now there is no backing down.



I have trained for two marathons but never made it to the starting line. But this time I am determined to finish my first marathon. The marathon is the HP Houston Marathon on January 16th, 2005 (hey Kirk, I'd like that Sunday off?) I have no time goal, I just want to RUN 26.2 miles. EQ has inspired me. Pray for him as he runs the NYC next Sunday.

Then it’s on to the next “Before I die I want to …” on my list.

3 comments:

reflectionsofatexan said...

How interesting of a post!! Okay...here's my two cents worth on what my goals before i die are. My fill-ins to the list:
>Be a mother of 2+ children :)
>Visit the green pastures of Ireland and the castles of Scotland
>Have a house and live in the mountains of New Mexico.
>Help rehabilitate abused horses
>Enjoy being able to sit down and play a harp for hours on end again
>Leave this life knowing i used my musical ability to the fullest degree to serve God.

Enjoy

Anonymous said...

what happens when you finish all of them?

be super awesome - check.

do a triple back-flip off of a bridge into water, only to come out riding a dolphin with a Pirates jersey on - check.

have six triple-cheeseburgers in one sitting while filing my taxes and simultaneously inspiring others to take up ice hockey as a hobby - check.

help 1000 old ladies across the street (and the same old lady doesn't count: it has to be 1000 different old ladies) - check.

enjoy the art of table tennis - check.

leave at least a %20 tip every time i eat out - check.


does that mean i'm going to die now? maybe i should make a new list. okay, new list:


be the author of a best-selling book.

do 1000 pushups in one set.

have you guys ever seen Pirates of the Caribbean? it's pretty good. i mean, uh, have a cure for at least four diseases.

help tommy complete his marathon by badgering him relentlessly until he successfully runs 26.2 miles, even if i have to run right next to him the whole way, or maybe ride in a golf cart or on a motorcycle or something. yeah, a really fast, cool motorcycle. tommy, you provide the motorcycle, right?

enjoy the benefits of inventing a teleportation device.
leave behind a legacy. or maybe not so much of a legacy as like, you know, "that dude was cool". or maybe not even that so much as "who was that guy?" or something.


man, i'm just not good at this.

Phillip Hintze said...

brent?