Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Inspired by McManus

I am at Willow Creek this week at a conference called "Communicating in Today's Reality". It is a conference which seeks to help teachers and preachers speak Christianity into the language of the culture. Yesterday I heard Bill Hybels, Ed Young Jr. and Erwin McManus.

I don't know Erwin McManus but Ronnie does. I've read a couple of his books and both had a strong effect on me. Yesterday I listened to his main session and then went to his Q&A breakout session. I don't know that I've ever heard anyone with such a passion not only for God but for life in general. On one of Ronnie's blogs someone accused him of being "new age" and leading people away from Jesus. But having seen him up close - I can't imagine anyone meeting or hearing or reading Erwin McManus and being anything but drawn toward God.

I'm only 1/2 way through the conference, but if it ended now it would have been worth the trip.

4 comments:

Ronnie Whitehead said...

Tommy, I'm so glad that you got to hear him in person. I hope that you have the chance to actually meet him. He's a very personable guy, and genuine.

As for his critics, they obviously hold more to what they read than what they know experientially.

By the way, call me. I need to get some information from you!

Scott said...

i know this may not be a popular criticism but many of us feel hybels stopped speaking in any meaningful way to today's culture like ten years ago. i have been to 10 of there conferences and the last one we walked out of to go to the jesus people commune service. nothing had changed in ten years then. seeing the video recently, nothing has still changed.

just my two cents, nothing personal

Tommy said...

Scott - I completely understand your criticism BUT I believe that Hybels is still interested in seeing people connect and grow in their relationship with Jesus. I've heard the arguments about Willow being a Wal Mart church and I'm not into the whole consumerism thing, but I think people start their relationship with God as a consumer before they can learn to invest.

Nothing has changed, but people are still being reached and are growing, right?

Scott said...

yup totally