Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Fine Dining

Yesterday I took Andrea to a fine restaurant for lunch. Mondays are our day off and we like to spend the day doing what ever we do together. It’s one of the ways we try to stay connected.

We like to dine at this restaurant on some of those Mondays. The reason we go has more to do with the company than the food although the food’s not too bad. This restaurant is in an older building with long benches for the patrons to sit on as they eat. Everyone there is really friendly – even playful. You pick up your food buffet style in a line and there are “servers” who walk up and down the isles with ketchup bottles for the “guests”, should they need some. Most of the people who eat there are a whole lot shorter than me but I don’t mind. Most of them don’t eat much either, they spend their 30 minute lunch socializing with those around them.

The name of the restaurant? – A .P. Beutel Elementary cafeteria. Andrea and I ate lunch with our five year old daughter Anna. Sitting on the small cafeteria tables brings back a flood of memories from childhood. Sometimes I wish I could go back to being 5 years old in kindergarten but sometimes you couldn’t offer me enough to go back to the beginning of a journey that has brought me where I am today.

When I think about it, I am at a good place in life. Even though there are pressures in being an adult, I’ve worked through a lot of life to get where I am now. Other than fond memories I think it’s okay that on a bunch of different levels I’ve left childhood behind. I also think it’s okay that on other levels I am still a child at heart.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this supposed to help me in some way or make you look good?

Tommy said...

Thanks Laurie.

Anonymous ... you sound bitter. God reminds me and teaches me things through everyday experiences and when he does I like to pass them along. Also I write stuff that I go through because I like to write. If you don't get anything out of it then don't read it.

Why do you post hit and run comments anonymously?

Ronnie Whitehead said...

Tommy,
If we stop passing on things that God teaches us through our kids and being with our family, then we lose so much of our life lessons. I enjoy hearing what God is teaching you and I DO hope that by reading what you write, and putting it into action in my life that "I" look better to God and to those around me.

Anonymous said...

People have always refered to me as a child at heart. There are many things in my day-to-day life I find intriguing or entertaining that most have allowed themselves to become accustomed to, or even jaded toward. I like bugs. I like to ride my bike and push down my little sister, or even throw food at other people. Some call this immaturity, but I feel it's all part of being an 11 year old. Maybe that's why it's easy for me to be a child at heart: I'm only in sixth grade. Still, I hope to cling to these little enjoyments with a fervency that perseveres through the weight of growing responsibility and rising taxes.

Sincerely,
Lil' Billy

PS: Tommy is a poo-poo head!

PSPS: not really. tommy, my mom said you could come over and play x-box as long as i finish my homework before dinner and Andrea gives you permission.

Phillip Hintze said...

uh, anonymous, or billy (whatever):
Here's what I'm thinking: you might think about getting some professional help. This is just me thinking out loud.

Ronnie Whitehead said...

I just can't remember the last time I heard an 11 yr old use the word "fervency".

praynlady said...

Tommy, I could not be more proud of you and Andrea. I must say that to those who might snub the thought, that they should be sooooo blessed to have a child eating in the cafeteria to dine with. Oh, how I miss that! Kaylee is going to be sooooo spoiled when her time comes. That is if I am physically able by the time she hits kindergarten. I personally think you are not a poo poo head either.

ps can you and the kids come over and play tomorrow night?