Saturday, October 02, 2004

Belonging(s)

What do you think of when you hear the word belongings? Normally I think about my stuff. If there were a fire in my house after everyone was out I would want the firefighters to put water on the fire and save some of my belongings. I insure my belongings.

But the dictionary says that to "belong" is to be a natural member or a part. How do my material possessions make me a part of anything - except a consumeristic society that is marked by loneliness?

I find it interesting that the word belongings could come from such an important word as belonging. What a difference an "s" makes.

In his book "the SEARCH to BELONG" Joseph R. Myers says:
"your true "belongings" are not your possessions, but your relationships".

Think about that for a while...

No comments: