Tuesday, September 28, 2004

The curve of the earth and the moon.

This evening I flew to Chicago for a workshop at Willow Creek. As the sun started going down I looked out of the airplane window from 41000 feet at the horizon and could see the curve of the earth. It was an impressive sight. It reminded me of how incredible creation is and how we can see the hand of God all around us if we would just stop long enough to look.

As we flew north I looked at the horizon to the northeast and saw a brilliantly bright light below us. Not the kind of light that comes from cities below an airplane but a light that made the surface of the earth appear to be on fire. I watched and even weirded out for a second or two. Then I realized what I was looking at was the full moon rising over the northeastern horizon. The angle at which I saw it made it look like if we were flying towards it we would be able to fly over it in the airplane.

As we continued to fly the moon matched our height and eventually rose "over" us. It was a beautiful full moon and once again made me realize I was seeing the fingerprints of God.

No comments: