Friday, September 24, 2004

Orderliness

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind. The true scientists were rated as heretics by the church, but they were truly religious men because of their faith in the orderliness of the universe." - Albert Einstein

I've been reading a lot lately, but nothing I thought worth blogging about because I was sure no one would not want to hear it. But I ran across this quote today and it made me think. Like Phillip Hintze said in an earlier comment, Einstein is a quote machine. I think I've heard or read somewhere that Einstein was a pretty smart guy.

I have read quite a bit about science and how it relates to our faith and for the most part I have a hard time seeing what the big deal is. I think the two fit well together. There are so many issues people want to debate about the balance between faith and reason or science but I believe when they do they miss the bigger issue. The fact that the universe is just too stinking orderly to be one big accident.

2 comments:

Ronnie Whitehead said...

Many years ago, Christianity Today published a series of 3 articles on the Cleansing Power of the Blood. It dealt with how the blood cleansed the body of toxins and impurities, and then went on to draw the parallel of how the blood of Christ cleanses us of the same. The articles were so good, that a Biology teacher at a private school borrowed them to use in her class to teach her students.

I think the thing that sets off scientists is that God is intelligent and orderly. I don't think that their minds are geared to handle that.

Phillip Hintze said...

Maybe this is just me, but I get bored to tears by all these guys that spend hours debating and explaining how God can exist according to science. Maybe I'm just not a deep thinker, but I think that since God created the laws of physics, time/space/whatever, then He's not bound by those laws.

Along that same line of thinking, I don't see the point in endlessly debating theological points that absolutely do not further the Kingdom. I'm thinking specifically of the predestination vs. foreknowledge argument. The "According to Phillip" version goes something like this: God knows what we're gonna do, but that doesn't mean he's making us do anything. I'm not sure what umbrella that puts me under, and I don't really care. I remember in one of my Christianity classes at HBU, we studied that one denomination split because one splinter believed that the Bible was inerrant and the other believed it to be infallible. Who cares?I'm going to get off of my little podium now. I don't know what set that off...