Friday, September 10, 2004

Financial Peace - Better Together

Last night we (Andrea and I) finished a thirteen week course called Financial Peace University. The information was good, Dave Ramsey is an entertaining guy, and it has caused Andrea and me to rethink the way we manage, or in some cases mismanage, the financial resources God has given us.

That’s not the best part though. I have grown quite a bit in the last 13 weeks. Not because I got good information (although I did), not because the class caused me to reflect on how I live (it did); but I have grown because of the interaction I have had for the last thirteen weeks with real people. People who were willing to get real about where they struggled and cheer the rest of us on when we had victories and encourage us to keep going in defeat.

That’s why at BPF we are sold on small groups (home teams). Ideally, in home teams people get real with one another about where they struggle and where they are strong. They talk about what it means to live life as a follower of Jesus and encourage one another to keep going when things get rough and cheer with each other in the victories.

I’m going to miss Financial Peace not because I like learning how to do financial stuff, or enjoy Dave Ramsey’s wit. I’m going to miss Financial Peace because of the bond I formed with some fellow strugglers as we met together on Thursday night.

No comments: