Thursday, September 02, 2004

Brains and dinnertime conversations

Today at school Jakeb fell and hit his head. He hit it hard enough to knock him out for a second or two, so Andrea picked him up at school and took him to the emergency room to make sure he was okay. They did a “CAT” scan and found out that he has a concussion and will be okay. We get to wake him up every two hours through the night. It’s sure to be fun for both him and us. Andrea said that one of us should get a good night’s sleep so I assume she’s taking one for the team.

The CAT scan was beneficial because we found out that our son does in fact have a brain. Something that everyone in our family has questioned at times – Jakeb included.

The emergency room folks told him it would be a good idea to consume only liquids tonight in case he got nauseated. But Andrea made a good chef salad and Jakeb likes salad so he decided to forgo the liquid diet. “I’d rather throw up than be hungry” is the phrase he used. His head hurts but it didn’t seem to affect his stomach.

I tried to be the “spiritual dad” and ask “what made you feel closest to God today” (an idea from the book Sleeping with Bread). But Jakeb ended the spiritual direction of the conversation when he said, “this salad tastes pretty good. But I bet it will taste nasty as puke.” And so goes the dinnertime conversation at the Stunz house.

BTW - Jakeb approved this post before it was published ...

2 comments:

Phillip Hintze said...

When I was in 5th grade, I fell off the monkey bars at school and was knocked unconscious for a minute or two. I didn't even go to the hospital. That was pretty crazy. I just wanted to go to sleep, but everyone was telling me that I might slip into a coma if I did. Needless to say, I was pretty freaked out.

praynlady said...

Tommy, this one is for Chako, if Kaylee could talk, I'm sure she'd say something like, "milk it for all it's worth and ask for sympathy and all the things you would like to eat like icecream and such. As for me, I for one, know that you have a tremendously HARD head.

"What day is it? Do you know where you are? and "Did mom let you miss school the next day?. You can always come stay at my house if they are not sympathetic enough. Ollie