Thursday, April 30, 2009

So about this gum thing... UPDATE

Ok, so I am now convicted (Thanks, Jenny. Of all people...) that we probably shouldn't be bringing gum into Singapore since it's "technically prohibited".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewing_gum_ban_in_Singapore

I suppose it's true that we'd be sending our kids mixed signals and not setting a very godly example to them and others.

Stink..... So no gum will be brought into Singapore by the Stunz family. Unless we can figure out a way to claim is as necessary for "theraputic value". Okay, okay... I give! No gum.

This section of the wikipedia article was particularly interesting:

In the mid 1990s, Singapore’s forbidding laws began to receive intense international coverage and attention from civil rights activists. The U.S. media paid attention to the case of Michael P. Fay, the American teenager who was sentenced to caning in Singapore for vandalism (spray paint, not chewing gum). They also zeroed in on Singapore’s other peculiar laws, including the "mandatory flushing in public toilets" ruling. It was around this time that Singapore developed its "nanny state" image, where the movements of every citizen are constantly scrutinised and dictated by the government. A common joke is that Singapore is a "fine" country, a jibe at the large number of fines Singapore imposes for acts like jaywalking.
Singapore leaders responded by arguing that as a sovereign state, Singapore had the rights to formulate its own policies based on its own unique political and cultural values.[
citation needed] Besides, they argued, these policies would result in greater overall benefits for the country. When a BBC reporter suggested that overly draconian laws would stifle the people's creativity, Lee Kuan Yew retorted: "If you can't think because you can't chew, try a banana."[3]

4 comments:

Jenny Hintze said...

"Jenny of all people"....what's that supposed to mean? That your morally compromised friend is taking the high road for once in her life?

I think you should bring the gum. Teach your kids to live on the wild side. I was just playing the devil's (Jesus'??) advocate. Anyway, I think it's a stupid rule that's meant to be broken.

Andrea said...

It was a joke. :) A bad one... And past my bedtime when I wrote the post. Shoulda left that off. Sorry.

When I dug some more, and read what I read, and listened to my friend, and my conscience, I just don't think I can. We can live without gum. I'll just take some mints.

Milly said...

Hi Andrea..we are not big gum chewers so I couldn't care less about not being able to get chewing gum here in Singapore. When we go to Malaysia it's a treat for the kids to get a couple of packets,and it's a noverty for them to try it. Singapore does have that 'nanny state' reputation, but in reality I think they have better things to worry about than ppl chewing gum. And actually you can buy it here but you have to give your IC number and have a good reason to buy it! I actually hate when I travel back to Australia and see everyone chewing. Yuk!

Andrea said...

Hey, Milly! It's good to hear from you.

So, I'm guessing you don't want me to bring you some, right? :)

We don't chew all the time either and it's not a huge deal. It is nice to have for after a meal or to freshen up or to keep me from eating other things with calories.

When we do chew gum, though, we don't smack or pop those annoying bubbles inside of our mouth with our teeth. :) That's probably the real reason they banned it in the first place.