Saturday, April 18, 2009

If you could see our calendar!

If you could see our calendar it would make your head spin. It does mine. When I hit that airplane seat I think I'll leave skid marks on the floor.

We leave for Singapore on June 17th, that's only 60 days from today, and our calendar is quickly filling up. Dinners and lunches with friends and family, appointments to take care of things, etc. Our google calendar stays up all the time on my computer. Oh, how I love my google calendar!!! We cannot make any plans without referring to it first. Everything has to be on the calendar. That's just our life these days. We have managed to reserve two weekends between now and June 17th when we will plan nothing if at all possible. They won't stay empty, there will be things to do on those weekends but we'll have them open to do whatever needs to be done or whatever we want to do if that should be the case. Every other weekend and most week days are jam packed!

Tommy and I went on a date last night. We haven't seen much of each other this whole week. He leaves for work at around 5am and gets home around 7pm. I had to cancel something with friends to make the date happen but they understood and it was much needed time together. Our dates these days consist of eating out, last night we had Mexican food, getting a tea or coffee at the local coffee shop, updating our calendar and our shopping list for Singapore items and our "to do" list of things we need to remember to take care of before we go. Last night we just sat in silence for a little while. Expressing a thought here and there but just sat. In the same space. At the same time. Nice..... Then we went grocery shopping! Fun, fun, fun. But, it was time away and time together.

Jakeb and Tommy left for the Gator Gallop, a local 5k race that Jakeb really wants to win. I've already baked 6 dozen cookies and put a pot of charro beans on for dinner and it's just 7:30am. Today also consists of a wedding shower, a lunch in Houston with the group that Tommy works with and their families who are all going to Singapore. We had to say no to some things today just to keep the time for this carved out. Then we'll come back for dinner and games with friends. Oh, and I'll need to finish up some school work with Anna on the drive to Houston.

I know I said in a previous post that time with family and friends is valued and a super high priority, and it definitely is! But there are things that just have to get taken care of and cut into our days and time for things we'd rather be doing like hanging out with you. If for some reason we don't meet your expectations of spending enough time with you, which I'm sure will be the case at some point, please accept our apologies and cut us some slack. We're trying. There's so much to do and we're really not lazy people so I hope you understand that we're doing the best we can. There's just so much to do. Oh, sorry, I already said that....

So, in trying to find balance and some peace and perspective in the chaos, I write this post. I'm not whining, I promise! We are busy, we're trying to live in the here and now while planning for the then and there. We are trying to "not sweat the small stuff", keep a positive and healthy attitude and a right relationship with God and each other (that's the key to making all of this work). Stepping back a bit and looking at the big picture, it's all very exciting and we're very grateful for the journey. We love that we're being given this opportunity and honored that we get to go and that the company Tommy works for would deem us worthy of the investment.


Speaking of calendars..... When are you coming to see us in Singapore? That's one calendar item I'd be delighted to add. Oh, and go get your passport! :)

2 comments:

Anita said...

I like that skid mark thing and I"m sure your head is spinning!Mine is too just thinking how soon you'll will be leaving!

Amy said...

Christmas-ish 09!! Haha :)