Thursday, July 14, 2005

Blood and life

My father in law is having surgery next week. Andrea I have the same blood type as Tom so on Monday our family went to Methodist Hospital so the two of us could give blood to be used in surgery if he needs it. This is the third time I’ve given blood. The first time was for my daughter Tori, the second time was for my sister-in-law Colleen, and this time is for Tom. My family is a bunch of vampires. My mother-in-law said it would be good for Tom to get some preacher blood in him. Each time we’ve been Andrea’s iron level has been too low for her to donate. The girl needs to eat some more beef.

Anyway I am amazed at the whole process. My blood can be taken from my body and be given to another person who needs it. Then my body replaces the blood that it has lost. I know I am not telling you anything new but I am blown away by the marvel of the human body and the life that is in our blood.

Tuesday morning I ran 3 miles and had to walk about half way through my run. I assume it was because I had just given blood. I took Wednesday morning off and ran again this morning. It was still rough. I don’t know if it’s just a lack of conditioning or if it is still because of the lack of blood.

Two things: First pray for Tom on Wednesday as he has surgery. And second, give blood if you can … it’s an easy thing to do to help someone that could really use it.

In fact, the law requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.
Hebrews 9:22

5 comments:

praynlady said...

Tommy, thank you for this post. I wish I could tell everyone how important it is to donate. I am thankful for those like yourself who willingly donate for those of us who are in need. I am still not sure I like the idea of "preachers' blood" running around in me but I am glad that it is. I am grateful you were able to donate for dad too. I would love it if everyone I knew would donate too. I also would like to mention that you can be listed as an organ donor by going to the DPS and they will give you a card and you peel the stickers off and place them on the front and back of your license. Again, thank you for your gift.
signed,
Blood Sucker #2
(better than ?Gold digger?) lol

reflectionsofatexan said...

Ahh, this couldn't be a more fitting post for me to reply to. :) (I just completed classes and training in Blood Banking and crossmatching here at UTMB!) Blood certainly is a fascinating body system! The matching of patients and donors is so much more than basic blood types. Here's a little trivial trivia...Did you know blood is considered a 'drug'?...yep, a doctor has to prescribe it. Anyway, to answer your question, Yes, Tommy, it is probably due to the slight blood loss. Think of it like this...You gave away an amount of oxygen-carrying capacity. Make sense? By the way...didn't the phlebotomist instruct you not to exert yourself for at least the next two days? Tsk, tsk.. if not on you, then on the technician for not telling you :) Alright, there's my two cells worth :)

reflectionsofatexan said...

Oh, I had another thought on the organ/tissue donor thing. To those that are willing, be sure to inform your family or those that might make decisions in your stead. I myself am a donor, but the card and stickers only go so far...in many cases, the family has to vouche in some way. Donating is a great thing...I mean...its not going with you anywhere, so why not help out, you know? As for blood, PLEASE DONATE!!! Hurricane season is now here, and I know the blood centers are stocking up. Even if its not used here, a lot of blood is sent to other centers that are running low. Blood centers have a very vast 'network' nationwide...its pretty cool. Okay, i'll shut up. This is what happens when people post a medically oriented topic :)

--Melinda Jensen (Mindy)

Tommy said...

Thanks Mindy,

The lady who took my blood DID tell me no skydiving for the next twelve hours which made me mad because I was going to sky dive that afternoon on the way home.

Not really, but I find it interesting the things you cannot do.

I took another day off today and I'll try running (hopefully with endurance) again tomorrow.

Oh yeah, another thing about blood being a drug, isn't that why Tyler Hamilton is not riding the Tour De France this year? Blood doping.

reflectionsofatexan said...

Hmm, I hadn't heard of that, but I looked it up...and yep. I can see where they would getcha on that. It looks like riders can have a hematocrit (total Red Blood Cell count) no greater than 50, unless showed that theirs is naturally that high all the time. His was normally 38%, and they caught him with a 49.7%. What I don't understand is a normal adult male's level is 42-54%. So I think the rule just might need to be updated. Like I said, your red cells carry the Oxygen, so it makes sense that you would "dope" on blood for endurance purposes. Oh, those humans are so clever sometimes :)
--Mindy