Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The Call

“William Tyndale wrote that, if our desire is to please God, pouring water, washing dishes, cobbling shoes, and preaching the Word “is all one”.”

“The action of a shepherd in keeping sheep, performed as I have said in this kind, is as good a work before God as is the action of a judge in giving a sentence, or of a magistrate in ruling, or a minister in preaching.” (A Treatise of the Vocations or Callings of Men)

“We must resolutely refuse to play the word games that pretend calling means anything without a Caller. … If there is no Caller there are no callings – only work.”

“Beware of anything that competes with loyalty to Jesus Christ,” Oswald Chambers wrote. “The greatest competitor of devotion to Jesus is service for Him … The one aim of the call of God is the satisfaction of God, not a call to do something for him.”

All of the above quotes come from The Call by Os Guinness


I bought this book on September 3, 2002; the day my oldest daughter Tori got her scoliosis brace. I remember it as a heavy day. The Call had a huge impact on me then and just glancing through it today reminded me of that impact.

No comments: