Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Belief

There are things that I believe that fuel much of what I do. There are things I say I believe that I must not believe so much or I would live a life where my actions showed those beliefs to be true.

The things I believe most deeply come out in the way I live. I can talk all I want but belief is seen in action.

I’ve heard well meaning people say “You’ve got to stand up for what you believe in” - which on the surface sounds like great advice. But what if your beliefs are really wack? Say you believe that if you fly an airplane into a tall building full of thousands of people in the name of your religion that you will be reward by god in eternity. Is that the kind of belief it is okay to stand up for?

I have no answers, only questions brought on by John Mayer’s new CD Continuum.

Everyone believes
In how they think it ought to be
Everyone believes
And they’re not going easily

Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword
Like punching in the water
You can never hit what you’re trying for
Belief - John Mayer

No comments: