Monday, August 15, 2005

Nickel Creek - Why Should the Fire Die?

I’m not a fan of music with the "country" label. Have I ever said here that before? I don’t care for simplistic, crying in my beer, my wife/husband left me, prideful music. Enough said right?

I bought a new CD today and I had to stand in front of the “country” section to pick it up. A group I thoroughly enjoy, Nickel Creek has a CD called Why Should the Fire Die? These guys and girl are incredible musicians and they write thoughtful music. Their first CD (the first one I bought) had a pretty strong bluegrass sound. Each CD since then has moved a bit from bluegrass toward a much more eclectic sound which I like but assume will really make their bluegrass fans mad. It’s some jamming stuff and I’m digging it.

2 comments:

Phillip Hintze said...

I saw them play on Austin City Limits a couple of weeks ago and thought they were pretty impressive. I wasn't crazy about the style, but they were exceptional players, especially the mandolin player (mandolinist?). Anyway, the singer/violinist was absolutely stoic. I mean, she had no stage presence whatsoever. She just stood there and sang. It was weird to watch, especially with the mandolin guy going nuts right next to her.

Maury said...

The new CD isn't as good their others, but it has some really cool oddball songs on it. If you really want to dissect it, throw on your headphones (I use Etymotic ER-6i's, since you asked and all) and just sit still and listen.

Keep at it and you'll start to hear all kinds of layers and depth — eventually you'll get hooked.

But yes, it's hard to beat songs like In The House Of Tom Bombadil, The Fox, Smoothie Song, and Green and Gray.