Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Hotel Rwanda


I watched Hotel Rwanda yesterday. I’ve wanted to see this film since Aaron referred to it in a message at our church in February. It is a movie about the conflict in Rwanda in 1994 where the Hutu guerrillas killed over a million Tutsis in less than three months while the rest of the world just watched. They did it based on their hatred of a group of people who were outwardly just like them and yet they were labeled as something different (Hutu or Tutsi). That may be an oversimplification but it seems to me that too many people were killed needlessly.

In the movie Don Cheadle plays Paul Rusesabagina, a Hutu who manages a hotel owned by Europeans. After the foreign nationals leave the hotel fearing their own safety, Rusesabagina uses it to save the lives of over 1200 Tutsis. I was moved by how a man of humility could use his influence to affect change in the people around him.

The part of the movie that stung more than any other is when a news man collects some video of the massacre that is sent abroad to be aired on the evening news. Rusesabagina says something to the effect, “When the world sees the video they will not be able to stay away. They will come and help.”
To which the cameraman replies, “No, they will see the video and say, ’How horrible’ and then they will go back to eating their dinner.”

I started reading Blue Like Jazz yesterday. As I thought about how horrible it is that something like the genocide in Rwanda happened in my adult lifetime, I read an interesting section of Miller’s book. He is talking to his friend Tony about all the people killed in Africa and Tony asked, “Do you think you could do something like that…?” Through a process of thought and conversation Miller comes to the conclusion that we are all capable of some horrible things because inside all of us exists a sin nature.

The potential for evil is inside all of us. We inherited it from Adam. At the risk of oversimplification again; the answer to the darkness in every part of the world is the redemption brought about by Jesus which has the power to change the heart. Even then we all have to act when we can.

Hotel Rwanda gave me a burden I’m not sure what to do with.

I think Jesus feels strongly about communicating the idea of our brokenness, and I think it’s worth reflection. Nothing is going to change in the Congo until you and I figure out what is wrong with the person in the mirror.

- Don Miller Blue Like Jazz

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

After I watched the movie for the first time, I couldn't sleep. It made me sick to my stomach. But as time has passed, I have become consumed with other things, mostly good things, and the burden has faded. In the end, I just said, "how horrible" and went back to watching tv.

What does it really mean to love your neighbor? The main character not only puts his life on the line, but he risks the lives of his family. I admire his courage.

Is lying always wrong? When the guards came to his house looking for his neighbors, he lied and said that they were not there. Did he do the right thing? Was there any other possible alternative that would have saved their lives? When he did that, did he sin? I'm not sure what the answer is, but I think I would have done the same thing.

Jenny Hintze said...

I think every one of us is capable of almost anything given the right circumstances. It's scary to think about what we might be capable of doing.

praynlady said...

Nicolae, you have a way with words. Beautifully put! I have avoided watching this movie because it seems I was born with a genetic defect. My heart is soooo big, it easily get broken. Movies like this one, make me actually hurt. Not to mention the anger that wells up.
Tommy, I'm glad you watched it. If I can ever stand to see it, I will know who not to call when I can't sleep at night!
Oh, that we all might have a little bit of the mans' love for humanity inside us that we could just go against all reason and jump in to help our fellow man. Wouldn't it be a better place!

praynlady said...

Nicolae, I don't know what you mean. I find that a man is a much greater person if he can sit on the couch and cry his heart out. Some one should strangle the person who taught our boys that they shouldn't cry. The bible says that Jesus cried, I personally believe that God also cries. It must be tough on Him to watch everyone, especially me and not cry!

SILLY??? NO WAY!

praynlady said...

Thank you! I needed that! lol