Friday, July 30, 2004

Knowledge

When I read what I've written here and elsewhere or listen to some of the messages I've preached it seems to me that sometimes I sound as if I've got life all figured out.  I hope you know that is not the case.  There are ideas and concepts and thoughts I have about life that I am completely convinced are true.  But there are also ideas and thoughts that I lean really heavily towards but don't have completely formed in my mind.  There are also thoughts I have hunches about that I cannot prove.  So how can you tell which are which?  I'll leave that for you to figure out on your own.

That's what's good about a blog.  I can "try on" some things as I write them down.  Dawson Trotman said:

     "Thoughts disentangle themselves when they pass through the lips and the fingertips."

And in this case my keyboard.  So don't think of me as a pompous arrogant know-it-all.  I'm just writing my thoughts to allow them to disentangle themselves.  And am surprised that anyone would want to read them.

I ran across this story on a June 11 post on One House:

     Once upon a time a visitor came to the monastery
     looking for the purpose and the meaning of life.

     The Teacher said to the visitor, "If what you seek
     is the Truth, there is one thing you must have above all else."

     "I know," said the visitor, "To find Truth I must have an
     overwhelming passion for it."

     "No," the Teacher said. "In order to find the Truth, you
     must have an unremitting readiness to admit you may be wrong."

You can read the entire post here ... Link


1 comment:

Ronnie Whitehead said...

I recently made a call to one of son's friends cell phone for him. Naturally, I got the guys voicemail. His announcement before the tone was intriguing. He said, "If someone told you the truth, would you like what you hear?"

I'm still mulling that message around in my head. I believe that there is basically one truth. Whether or not I "like what I hear" when it is presented, depends on what I "thought" the truth was when I heard it.