Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Romance

Read on guys, its not that bad … besides you needed a reminder that Valentine's Day is coming (you can thank me later).



I usually think of romance in terms of the relationship between a man and a woman. Very rarely do I think of romance in a spiritual sense and would not normally combine the ideas of romance and God - except maybe in thinking about the Song of Solomon. I know God created the marriage relationship between a man and a woman and I know to have a good marriage God has to be in the middle of it. But when it comes to romance, I just assumed He said, “Okay now, figure it out because I’m God and romance is a “humanity” thing”.

Today I was reading Epic by John Eldredge and he introduced a thought that made me stop reading and think. Here it is:

Creation unfolds like a great work of art, a masterpiece in the making. And just as you can learn about an author by the stories he tells, you can learn about a great deal about an artist from the works he creates. Surely you see that God is more creative than we can possibly imagine, and romantic to the core.
(pg 46)

Wow … look at creation and see the romance of God. God is "romantic to the core" and my example for how romance fits into life and is shown to Andrea. To be romantic I have to be creative like God is creative. What a concept. Now I know why I’ve sometimes fallen short when it comes to romance. I’ve settled for less than perfect examples of what romance looks like. hmmm …

No comments: