Sunday, February 13, 2005

Is your passion hot?

Andrea and I went with some friends to Fellowship of the Woodlands on Saturday night to see if we could gain some insight for Brazos Pointe Fellowship's Saturday Night service that will start on Easter weekend.

After the service Andrea and I wanted something to munch on and a drink. We were standing in line to pay for the stuff we were going to consume and the lady behind the counter asked me, “Is your passion hot?” I paused for a second and told Andrea, “She just asked me if my passion was hot. What nerve.”

Very uncharacteristically, Andrea just laughed and then she turned to her friend Dedee and said, “Hey the lady behind the counter asked Tommy if his passion was hot.” And Dedee laughed too.

Wow. No one cares that the lady was asking me such a question.

It really didn’t matter because we were at Starbucks and I had ordered myself a Zen green tea and I ordered Andrea a Passion tea. Apparently Passion tea comes iced or hot and the lady was asking me if I wanted it cold or hot. Therefore “Is your passion hot?” is a perfectly appropriate question.

Context is everything.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Kirk and I agree that it was one of the funnier moments in our life...The fact that the Starbucks lady wasn't ruffled is kind of unnerving...I might have said that but then the light bulb would have come on and I would have been left wondering how to remove the shoe from my teeth...no surprose that I have been left wondering how to do that many times in my life...Thanks for a great and fun evening, where did the time go? Dedee

Tommy said...

Thanks Laurie,

I enjoy writing but I'm not sure I want to write something that ends up being read by people standing in line waiting to pay for their groceries.

You write pretty well yourself. We're all still waiting for that "laurieg" blog.