Monday, February 07, 2005

Everybody Loves Raymond and good art ... in the same sentence.

Tonight Everybody Loves Raymond made me laugh – uncomfortably. The reason shows like Everybody Loves Raymond are so funny and unsettling at the same time is because I can relate. I see myself in the characters and sometimes I don’t like what I see – so I laugh. And sometimes it's just witty so I laugh.

Good art does to all of us what Everybody Loves Raymond does to me. It causes us to look within ourselves and the world that exists around us. Sometimes I like what I see; sometimes it is quite unsettling; and sometimes it even touches the soul.

1 comment:

Ronnie Whitehead said...

I love that show ... I hate that show. All at the same time. For similar reasons. The way I relate to Raymond that so often, something unbelievable comes out of his mouth and the look on his face says, "Did I say that out loud?" That's me.

But I haven't started touching my chin with my food before I eat it, like Robert does. Not yet.