Thursday, February 10, 2005

Believe in yourself

This morning I got a newsletter where Rick Warren said “Each Sunday, church pews are filled with members who are doing nothing with their faith except "keeping" it.” It made me ask myself “Am I just “keeping” my faith or am I doing something with it?”

I believe the reason I don’t take risks and step out into unknown territory is because I believe God is perfectly capable of doing everything that needs to get done in the world without me. Besides why take the risk when I am a nobody? The media tells me I’m too short and I’m too tall, and my hair is the wrong color (blondes have more fun) and I need to go to the hair club for men; I’m too skinny and I’m too fat, and my skin is blemished and my car is a piece of junk and I am not worth anything …

Fear keeps me from being me. God created me and you to be exactly who we are and there is nothing wrong with me and there’s nothing wrong with you. God wants me to be the me He created me to be.

It’s true; God could accomplish everything it takes to make the world everything he wants it to be – the best world possible. But the fact of the matter is God has decided to use me and you to accomplish that purpose - because God believes in me.

So believe in God; and believe in yourself … God does.


If your back is pinned against the wall
And the stress is killing you
And the cross you carry on your back
Makes it hard for you to move

In yourself
Believe, its all right
In yourself
Believe, you're all right


Doug Pinnick, Ty Tabor, Jerry Gaskill


2 comments:

Tommy said...

Nic - I wrote "God is perfectly capable of doing everything that needs to get done in the world without me" ... Then I followed it up with "But the fact of the matter is God has decided to use me". Are we not agreeing here?

I'm not trying to argue fate or calvanism or freewill. I'm just saying we've got to take a risk - or as you would say "step out on faith".

Tommy said...

Nic - You're arguing over words. The idea of the original post was that we all have a responsibility to be who God wants us to be and do what God wants us to do. To live the best life possible (the abundant life) by ignoring what the world tells me is wrong with me and be the me God created me to be.

That's all - no subversive meanings.