Thursday, January 13, 2005

Taper week

This has been a weird week. It’s the week before my first marathon so I’m not running as much as normal to allow my body to rest. This morning I ran two miles. I haven’t run as little as two miles since I started marathon training. When the run was over I felt like I was just warming up. I rode my bike to work this morning like I do most days. Even with the two miles and the bike ride I am having trouble sitting still in my chair at work. I have too much nervous energy.

One of the other reasons I enjoy running is that it allows me to eat well and still maintain a reasonable weight. I could never go on a low-carb diet because I LOVE bread, potatoes, rice, cereal and pasta. This week has been heaven because my diet has consisted of those things. People say that you cannot maintain proper weight by eating a high carb diet, but this week I have eaten more carbs than normal to fuel my body, I have run less and I’ve actually dropped a couple of pounds. I think the reason though is because all of the Christmas sweets have disappeared from the house and I’ve pretty much cut out dessert foods all together.

In three days I’m going to attempt to run 26 miles, 385 yards. I'm nervous and excited all at the same time. Pray for me when you think about it.

No comments: